Prologue

Two men were stood by a large window of the newly built apartment blocks on the edge of the city, looking out over the well-lit streets below. It was evening and there was heavy traffic crowding the streets.

"It's their birthday soon, is everything in place?" The older-looking man asked, continuing to stare out of the window.

"Yes, it has all been organised. We can't afford to miss this opportunity again." The other man replied his tone lacking any sign of emotion.

"If we succeed it will be very rewarding, with two of them there is the possibility that their combined power will be great enough to allow us to reach the overall goal sooner."

The younger man nodded curtly. "Has your family contact followed our instructions so far?"

"She has, but the difficult part is yet to come. However I think with her family situation being so unstable at the moment, is making her more willing to get involved. We do need to keep an eye on her though, the fact that she is at school with them could lead her to questioning us."

"Evan, she is our main source of information on them, don't you think we should do more than just keep an eye on her."

"Not at the moment David. If things get out of hand we can always step in."

David shrugged, he would rather avoid taking any risks, but this wasn't his decision; this time it was down to his boss.

He grabbed his jacket and walked towards the front door, opening it he stepped out onto the hallway before nodding once at Evan. "I will see you soon, let me know if any progress has been made."

Evan smiled knowingly and raising his hand in goodbye, he turned and strode back into his apartment.

Back at the window, he gazed down at the street below, an expensive black car pulled out of the private car park which was hidden at the back of the building.