Chapter 6 - Ella

She heard Willow going back into her room and realised that she must not be going to school either. She had been up earlier this morning feeling sick and dizzy so her mum had advised her to stay at home. The fact that it was her birthday today had barely crossed her mind, she felt tired and just wanted to go back to sleep.

Once her parents had left for work she forced herself out of bed and walked to the bathroom. As she passed the mirror above the sink she stopped, she glanced at her appearance. She had always wanted her blond hair to be darker as she thought it would suit her a lot better. She also hated the fact that her hair was always similar to her sister's whatever she did to it. Not that it looked ugly or anything, it just didn't suit her personality. However, her parents had never approved of her dying it.

A sudden, strange tingling sensation spread over her body and as she was about to turn away from the mirror, she gasped. The ends of her hair getting darker and darker, the brown colour seemed to be spreading up towards her roots. There was a knock on the bathroom door causing Ella jumped in alarm at the sound of it and turned to see Willow enter.

Her sister's jaw fell open in disbelief, "Ella, what have you done to your hair?!"

Ella shook her head, still unable to process what she had just witnessed. Turning slowly back towards the mirror, she gazed at her reflection open-mouthed. The roots of her messy hair were still the normal blonde colour, but the same couldn't be said for the bottom half of her hair. Willow was gawking at Ella, her mouth opening and closing like a fish.

"I came in and my hair was normal and then I-I was looking in the mirror and it changed, I don't know what's wrong with me but I swear I saw it change colour as I was looking at it!"

Willow finally composed herself and smiled nervously, "Umm, well, it does look like you've dyed it and usually people's hair doesn't change colour by itself Ella..."

"I swear... I was just looking at it and it just started going brown!"

Willow looked doubtful. "Lets go downstairs anyway, mum and dad have already left so no one will see..."

Ella nodded and followed her sister down the stairs, still in shock from what she had just seen. She understood why her sister thought she'd dyed it, she still couldn't quite believe it herself.

When they reached the kitchen Willow made them both a drink before she turned to look at Ella, "Are you sure you didn't dye it? Because it really, really looks like you have."

"I swear I didn't" Ella stuttered "I was just thinking about how much nicer it would look if it was a bit darker and then suddenly it was changing."

Willow nodded slowly looking a little uncomfortable, "Okay, well if what you're saying is true then if you try and think about it being the colour it was before it should change back shouldn't it?"

Ella knew that her sister was sceptical and she didn't blame her, she was sure that in her place she would doubt her story to, this wasn't something that happened to normal people like her. She tried pinching herself; it hurt. How could this even be real, her hair was changing right before her eyes. She wished she had never thought about having brown hair, she thought she would like it but now she would do anything to get it back to its original state. What would she say to her parents and her friends? Maybe her hair would change back if she thought hard enough about it.

Ella screwed her eyes tight shut, trying to imagineher hair the colour it was. Maybe if she thought about her hair in the colourthat it was, it might change back. She opened her eyes and glanced at her hair.It was still the same colour. She started panicking, "I don't know what to do,what is happening to me? Mum and Dad are going to kill me!" She burst intotears and pressed her hands towards her face. Suddenly she heard Willow gasp,glancing through her fingers she saw that her hair had now reached knee length!She screamed in terror wondering what on Earth was going on this motning. Sheknew that Willow could do nothing to comfort her, whatever was happening to herwas not normal.