Prologue

Nothing in the suburban neighborhood of Silver Valley Lake was strange or weird, and strangely nothing wrong usually ever happens in the streets of the quiet hood.

The Storm household was well named, for their tempers were like a natural disaster or a nuclear bomb in their neighborhood going off.

Everyone who knew of them tended to steer clear of the older ones but out of all of them, the youngest of the four kids was known to be approachable.

At least she was, until something happened on her tenth birthday, that set her off so badly that her brother told her to run, threatening to throw her out if she didn't leave by nightfall.

Sierra was expecting her normal birthday, on her twelfth birthday, she wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary. She was expecting takeout, a half eaten cake, and a sprite. There was nothing that could surprise her anymore, or so she thought.

Sierra was just finishing up her homework, when her parents came home, not even a foot in the door, and they were already arguin' in a normal way, with each other.

Sierra was clamping her hands over her ears but then she heard somethin' and it was something that she couldn't ignore.

She heard someone being beaten, and she ran downstairs to help, and found her father holding a gun.

It was pointed directly towards Carson, her elder brother, well the one that was still at home anyways.

"Carson!" She shouted, but he had already made a shushing motion, but her father had heard her.

"Are you like him?! Are you one of 'em too?!" Her father shouted, but a terrified Sierra, clearly had no idea at all what he was talking about.

"Stop it! You're scaring her!"

Carson shouted at their father, and then suddenly the gun went off, and Sierra's eyes went wide and as Carson collapsed, Sierra screamed.

Suddenly out of nowhere, the air turned to pure heat, and the ice was crackling up the walls, the water from their fish tank was rising and breakin' the glass around it.

The floor began to crack and roots from the grass outside had begun to grow through the cracks, and they quickly move towards her father, who was gasping in shock and seeing it all, he dropped the gun.

Then suddenly, everything had completely stopped, as the ice had crept over and then frozen Carson's wound.

Sierra ran to her older brother, Carson, who was looking at her just like her father had been only minutes before.

But, completely unlike her father's eyes, she didn't see any fear in his, as she looked directly into the familiar brown irises but they now turned into the color of pure gold.

"Go." He whispers to her, and pushes something into her hand, and it was a crumpled up piece of paper. "Go." He says and she squeezed his hand, and ran upstairs.

She ran into his room first, grabbing all the warmest, bigger hoodies, that she could find since most of hers were getting too small for her, and then she looks around his room.

She spotted a picture on his desk, a picture that was just himself and her, along with their two older sibling, one of whom had died fightin' in a war, as well as the other who was now a huge movie star sensation.

She grabbed it, a bit hesitant about taking it, before she runs quickly into her room, grabs her backpack and she shoves the essentials into it.

Carson was screaming at their father, as their dad was struggling to get free of grass that had been leftover from a certain freakout by Sierra, and it had a certain charm to it. Especially after her older brother began to use it after a fashion.

Sierra looked back at her brother, who was waving at her to run, to go to the address, on the old and very much crumpled card, that was in her hand a bit tightly.

She opens it, and took a quick glance at the card.

Xavier's School For The Gifted

She raised her eyebrows as she ran, keeping the card in the pocket of her jacket as she continued to run, and at a crummy motel was where she stops for the night.

She pulled out a credit card that she had stolen from her father, and she'd also grabbed a whole lot of cash off of her mother, while she had the quickly disappearing opportunity to do so.

"One room. One bed. This should be enough, plus the tip to leave me be on my alone." Sierra said and she yanked the bundle of cash away, just until, the motel worker nods.

"I understand sweetheart. Now, can I have the money please? And, Name is required for a room." She said, as she accepted the cash from Sierra.

She remembered how suddenly everything had changed, how the climate and atmosphere switched immediately, and how she had gone from being normal, to being a... she didn't even know what she was.

"Rebel." She said finally, after a few minutes of deliberation, and the lady smiled at her.

"Well, Rebel. If you ever need anything at all, just call the front desk right here, hon." She said handing her the key to her room, as Sierra, she just walked away with a small smirk.