Part 17

Todd picked me up from the front of Logan's house later that afternoon. I told him to call me when he got there because I was mentally not ready for the argument or hostility that would ensue if they happened to see each other. Todd was already insecure about my friendship with Logan and it wasn't exactly a secret that Logan wasn't a fan of Todd either.

"Hi," Todd smiled brightly at me as I opened the door and hopped into the passenger seat of his car.

"Hey," I smiled back at him and leaned forward to kiss him.

"How are you feeling?" He asked as I put my seat belt on and he took off in the direction of my house.

"I'm feeling a bit better. I just want to get away for a little while, at least until I find out of he's actually in California." I said softly. Todd reached over the centre console and took my hand and laced his fingers between mine and squeezed gently.

"Do you know that it was him for sure?" He asked curiously.

"I'm 90% sure it's him. He said something that literally no one else knows about. I never even told Jake or Charlotte about it. He would never ever admit it to someone either, he's 'innocent' in all this. It was always my fault." I said bitterly. "But I can't say with absolute certainty that it is him. It's just something that as far as I know, no one else knows." I elaborated.

"Maybe when you get back from Big Bear, you and the dogs should come and stay with me." He said.

"Maybe," I glanced at Todd and he had this devious look on his face. And I couldn't quite tell if it was because he was horny or because he had an ulterior motive and wanted to keep me away from Logan. I knew at some point the subject of Logan and why I had called him was going to come up, it was pretty much inevitable.

"So are you and Logan besties again?" He asked. I was surprised, I thought he would leave the subject alone for a little longer.

"I wouldn't call us besties." I shook my head and watched his face curiously.

"But you're talking again..."

"Yeah," I nodded my head. "Are you ok with that?" I cocked an eyebrow at him and he frowned and didn't look at me. He just kept his eyes on the road.

"Not sure," He shrugged his shoulders.

"You know that I'm with you, being friends with Logan won't change that."

"I know, I just don't trust him to not try and sabotage it. You said yourself multiple times that he's jealous." He muttered bitterly.

"Nothing that Logan will ever do is going to sabotage this." I shook my head.

"Can I ask you why you called him when you got those texts?" He asked. I couldn't quite tell how he was feeling because the tone of his voice was so casual. He didn't seem angry but he was obviously feeling something.

"I called him because he and Jake know how Brody is as a person. We all grew up together. He knows how situations with Brody affect me and he's really good and calming me down." Immediately after explaining this to him for the second time that day, I was nervous about where this was going to go.

"I get that he knows him but as your boyfriend, shouldn't I be able to calm you down. Doesn't my presence make you calm?" He asked.

"Todd..."

"I'm just asking. I'm kind of offended that you called someone who has been actively ignoring you for almost two months." He snapped.

I pulled my hand from his and turned my body to the side so I could face him, even if he wouldn't look at me while he was driving. I was going to get my point across. Without letting out the secret that I literally hadn't thought of him until I was on the way to Logan's house. "I'm sorry that you're offended and I don't want to offend you further but Logan and Jake handle my issues with Brody. That's how it's been for the past six months since I moved here and it's probably not gonna change." I said slowly. I wanted him to know that my friendship with Logan wasn't going anywhere. He was just going to have to accept it.