twenty

win didn't expect bright to pull a memo pad out of nowhere right after he suggested they go out for a date. he has gone on too many dates before, but not with a man he romantically loves. the only pang of pain that seems to be piercing in his heart is not knowing whether bright has also gone on a date with a man before. it's not much of a big deal for win, but whenever he thinks of it he still hasn't asked bright about his past relationships before.

they've been each other's best friend, but when it comes to relationship the only person that seems to be open about it is win. bright is secretive when it comes to who he's seeing, and win doesn't feel like pushing the topic. but everything's different now. he's no longer just his best friend, but his partner -- his lover.

just as he's about to open the topic, bright faces him. 

"so what should we do for our date?" 

win gives him a smile, and shrugs. "what do you prefer? should we go outside?"

"i'm thinking of just staying here."

"that's your preferred date? our first date? what's the memo pad for?"

bright nods, "this memo pad? it's just for props. and yes, that's my preferred date. hey, don't show me that disappointed face. you're too tired to go out today, and don't even think of lying. your eyes are puffed and there are dark circles under you eyes and i know it's because you haven't had much sleep."

"how did you--"

"babe, i know you. i've always done. i know it when you're sad, pissed off, tired, happy, overwhelmed, scared. i know it all even if you don't tell me. but it'd be better if you tell me, of course."

win's forehead creases and asks, "am i that transparent?"

bright's kisses win's forehead, "no, i'm that observant. also, i know those things because i love you. so, what do you say? date at home?" he asks, wiggling his eyebrows.

win nods and creases his forehead at the same time. "okay but how do we pull this off?"

he snorts, "simple. we make things fancy."

bright doesn't disappoint. when he says 'make things fancy' he really plans on doing so. they get off the bed, and head to the kitchen. bright starts pulling stuff by the pantry, and since win doesn't understand what exactly he's going to prepare, he just stands by the corner and watch him.

"auntie's kitchen is the best. everything i need is in here," bright says, smiling like a kid who sees an aisle of chocolate bars and win can't help but adore him more.

"what are you even planning to do."

"as you can see, i'll be cooking for you. wait, would auntie mind if we take one of the wines here?"

"i'm sure she won't bother if it's you who took it."

"babe, it's not just me who'll drink. we both will."

"but i don't drink. and it's daytime."

"we don't have to finish it, baby. and we'll save the wine for dinner. i'll make us a light lunch, and we'll watch a movie after, and then i'll cook again for dinner. just normal stuff, but i'll make it as fancy as possible."

win can't help but fall deeper from every word that comes out of bright's mouth. he goes toward him and hugs him tight, burying himself in the crook of his neck. 

"hey, baby, what's wrong? don't you like it?"

win shakes his head, "no, i love it so much. i love you so much. thank you for everything."

he doesn't plan on crying, but after thanking bright he can't stop tears from falling down his cheeks, dampening bright's shirt. he feels so overwhelmed, so loved by the person he's hugging. 

bright chuckles, "i love you too, baby. i'm actually planning on doing this every time i get the chance, so please don't cry when i pull off things to make you happy."

win is wailing now, the love filling inside him. 

for lunch, bright cooks shrimp fettuccine alfredo and fries. the fries don't actually match with the pasta, but he still prepares it because win craves for it. after lunch, they sit by the couch on the living room to watch fifty first dates, which should have been fifty shades of gray but bright doesn't want it so they stick to the fifty first dates. when they finish the movie, bright goes on the kitchen again to cook for their dinner date.

the table seems to have undergone a huge transformation since it looks totally different. what once is a simple glass table has gone to having it covered in garnet table cloth and a small candle on the middle. bright pulls a chair for win to sit before he starts serving the lasagna fresh from the oven and pouring wine over their glasses.

"thank you, babe," win says as he holds bright's hands. 

"i love you too. how's my cooking so far?"

win pinches his fingers and his thumb and kisses it before saying, "chef's kiss" and they both laugh. 

in the middle of their dinner, bright holds win's cheeks which is stuffed with food but it's not like he cares about it, he just wants to hold and look at him. 

bright tilts his head and blurts out, "i hope you enjoyed everything, babe."

"i did. very much. and i don't think i can thank you enough for all this effort."

silence envelops them, and that feels like a cue for win to ask what he's been meaning to ask since earlier.

"bright, uhm, have you ever gone to a date before? i mean, with a guy? it's alright if you don't want to answer--" win is cut off by bright suddenly holding his hands that he doesn't realize has been shaking since he has thought of asking him about his past relationship.

"yes. i've gone to dates with a man before."

"just one guy then?"

"yes."

"do you love him?"

"i liked him, yes."

"oh," win purses his lips into a thin line before pulling his hands away from bright's hold. bright feels the temperature between them rise, and win's face gloomier that it is seconds ago. 

"don't overthink, baby. i told you because i want to be honest. but seriously, does he still matter? we had a clean closure and parted ways. it's done. besides, it's not his face i think about before i sleep. it's not him i want to always see. it's not him i want to make happy," bright stands up and goes to the other side of the table where win is and kneels as he pulls a small box from his pants and says, " and it's not him i want to spend the rest of my life with, but you."

win's mouth goes dry, and there goes the ragged beating in his chest. bright opens the box and there are two narrow slice rings in sterling silver. two? win thinks, confused. bright pulls one ring and puts it in his finger. he pulls out the other one and places it in front of win, his face full of hope.

"can we officially be each other's?"

win pulls bright from his feet and kisses him. bright excitedly puts the ring on win's finger and peppers kisses on it until win takes his hand away.

"now pull that ring off your finger, because i'll put it for you."

bright smiles and hugs win, feeling as if he's got the world clasped in his arms.