4 - Why?

Park Hae Min - POV

The ER was quiet today. I will be able to leave as soon as my shift is over. I can't wait for today's work to end. I'm planning to go to Autumn Wind Cafe. As I watched the clock ticks, my phone started ringing. It's Rae Joon.

"Hey, what's up?" I said .

"Nothing really. Are you free tonight?" He asked

"Yeah. Why?" I asked curiously.

"Umm...do you want to come over? I'm just wondering if you want to play on my stage just like the good old days." He said as I could hear his laugh from the other line.

"Sure. I'll come over after my shift. But I cannot guarantee that I can still play. I think my hands are rusted already." I said laughing.

"Sounds good. I'll see you then. Bye." He said as he ended the call.

I got more excited to leave this place. As soon as the clock struck 5pm, I rushed to the locker room and changed quickly. I head to the parking lot as fast as I can. I started the engine and went on my way to Autumn Wind Cafe.

As I entered the cafe, a couple of groups were alreading hanging out inside. I saw Rae Joon by the bar and a woman was sitting beside him.

"Hae Min, here!" He said loud enough for me to hear him as he waved at me.

While I was approaching the bar, I scanned every corners of the cafe to look for Rae Yan but she's nowhere to find.

"Hae Min. I'm glad you made it." He said as he shook my hand.

"Of course! I won't miss the opportunity playing with you again." I said.

"By the way, this is Suzy, my girlfriend. This is Hae Min, my bestfriend." He said as he put his arms on her shoulder.

"Finally, I met you. He's been bragging me about you . Nice to meet you." Suzy said.

"Nice to meet you too." I said and smiled at her.

"So are you ready to play?" He asked.

"Yeah! What song are we playing anyway." I asked.

"Of course! Our favorite piece.!" He excitedly said.

"Far Away!" We both said at the same time.

"Is Rae Yan will be playing with us too?" I asked.

"No. We will be joined by the drummer of tonight's band." He said.

"Oh I see. Why not? Did she forgot to play the drums too?" I asked curiously.

"Actually she's still good at playing drums but it makes her head hurt. So, she prefers playing the acoustic guitar by herself. See." He said as he pointed his finger at the stage.

As I turned my head to the direction he was pointing, I could see everyone's eyes were on the  center of the stage where a woman started playing the guitar. I never saw Rae Yan play other instruments before besides the drums. Then she started singing.

I was stunned by her voice. I never heard her sing before. I never thought she sounded this good. Her voice was like a lullaby in my ears. I fell in love to this woman before and I'm falling in love with her all over again.

I was too focused on her that I didn't realized that Rae Joon was talking to me.

"Huh?" I said surprisingly.

"I'm asking if you still remember all the songs we used to play before." He said.

"Oh. Yeah. I still remember. How many songs are we playing anyway?" I asked.

"Maybe 3." He said.

"We'll see." I said smiling.

After playing 3 songs, she stood up and bowed in front of everyone. Screams and claps echoed inside the cafe. She went down the stage and went straight to the bar. She was startled when she saw me. I guessed Rae Joon didn't told her that I was coming. Rae Joon tapped her shoulder as the bartender hand her a bottle of beer, her usual drink. She just smiled and went to join her friends seated near the stage.

"Let's go!" Rae Joon said as he tapped my shoulder and gestured to follow him. As soon as I stepped on the stage, all eyes were on me.

"Good evening everyone! Are you all having a great time?" He said as loud as he can in front of everyone.

"Yeah" people screamed and whistled.

"Tonight is a very special night because I will be performing after 15 years with my long lost bestfriend, Hae Min-" he said as he pointed at me. As I hear the claps and scream echoing inside the cafe, a fraction of my nervousness was eased. I bowed and he continued.

"-together with Anarki's drummer, Lee Joon."

Lee Joon waved his drum sticks in the air. Claps and screams echoed inside the cafe.

Joon sat behind the drum set.  I put on the electric guitar while Rae Joon strapped his bass guitar.

As we started playing, I remember the times when we used to play back in high achool.  I never forget every piece that we play. It's been too long since I played and sang in front of many people, it made me anxious. But as I looked at the crowd, I caught Rae Yan staring at me. I looked into her eyes and made an eye contact as I started singing.

As I sang the last word of the song, she stood up and went out of the cafe. As soon as we finished our performance, I quickly went outside to look for her. I saw her sitting on top of the stairs. I sat beside her and said.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm okay. I'm just having a headache." She said.

"It seems like you're always having a headache. I think you need to see a doctor." I advised her.

"Yeah right! Anyway, I have to go." She said as she stood up and went down the stairs instead of going up their apartment.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Anywhere but here! I need some fresh air." She said.

"I'll come with you if it's okay!" I said and immediately stood up.

"No! You know what! You're the reason why I'm having this headache. You're the reason why I can't breath. Seeing you is like choking me!" She said.

I was surprised to what she said.

"Is that so. I'm sorry. I guess you have all the reasons to hate me." I said and turned around to go back inside the cafe. But I stopped when she said.

"Reason? That's the problem! I dont know the reason. Tell me! What is the reason why I'm like this. Tell me!" She said as she bursts in anger.

"I think I have no right to tell you. I have the side of my story that may not be the same as what you will remember." I said without looking at her.

"So the past is more than just a headache then!" She said and took off.

——————————————————————————