7 - Memories of You

Kim Rae Yan - POV

As Rae Joon, Suzy and I were having breakfast at the cafe, the waitress hand him an invitation letter.

"Oh. I almost forgot! It's Kang Woo Hospital Foundation's anniversary." He said as he read the invitation.

"When is it?" I asked.

"This coming Saturday." He said.

" I think we should go this year. I'm here and it's been  a while since we last attended any of their event." I said.

As a long term patient of Kang Woo Hospital, my family became part of the hospital's charity. We were always been invited to all charity events including anniversaries. But ever since our mom died 5 years ago, I spent most of my time overseas and Rae Joon with his business. We were not able to attend any event since then.

Rae Joon told Hae Min about the anniversary and agreed to meet us at the venue.

The feeling of seeing Hae Min often doesn't bother me anymore. There are still little headaches that come and go. Before, I hate to see him or even hear his name, now if I don't see him or hear his name, I looked for him. I think I'm starting to like him.

Saturday came.

We, Rae Joon who was wearing a black tuxedo, Suzy with her long slit red gown and I on my black skimpy dress, walked inside the hall. We were greeted with a warm welcome from the ushers. Hae Min immediately saw us. He waved at us and Rae Joon waved back at him. He gestured for us to wait as he was still having conversations with some doctors. We were offered glasses of wine by the waitress. As soon as I took one glass from the tray, a guy took a glass and said.

"Rae Yan? What a surprise to see you here." The guy said as I stared at this familiar guy.

Kang Jin Young. I suddenly remembered the day we met in Singapore 2 years ago.

'Rae Yan? Kim Rae Yan, right? Wow. I thought you were dead. I'm glad to see you again!' He said as I was trying to figure out who he was.

'It's me! Kang Jin Young. Don't you remember me? We went to the same school in high school but I'm a year ahead of you.' He continued.

'Ah okay. I'm sorry because of the accident I kind of forget all the people I knew.' I said.

'I see. Hmm...Actually, we dated for a while back then.' He said as he continued to tell more about our relationship back then.

That's where it all begun. We started dating for a couple of months. I thought he was the guy that Rae Joon was refering to that I liked way back in high school. But it turned out he wasn't. In fact, I hated him so much. He fooled me. No wonder I couldn't feel any love towards him from the beginning. I tried to break up with him but he's so persistent and don't want to let me go. I stayed overseas often just to stay away from him and now here he goes again.

I clenched my fist then suddenly, Rae Joon held my hand and said.

"Kang Jin Young! I didn't expect to see you here?"

"Kim Rae Joon! Of course you're here too! I would be surprised if you weren't! Is this a high school reunion or what? Ho Jun and Hyun are here too and I can see Hae Min over there!" Jin Young said as he pointed Hae Min while holding his glass of wine.

"Anyway, Rae Yan, can we talk? I think we still have unfinished business." He said as he grabbed my hand and pulled me to come with hin.

"Jin Young, please let me go. We're over. We don't have anything to talk about." I said as I tried to release my hand from his grip.

"Let her go!" Hae Min said as he grabbed my hand and pulled me to him.

"Hae Min, my brother-in law! Why don't you mind your own business. Here comes my sister!" He said.

Brother-in-law? What does this jerk mean? I thought.

Hearing what he just said, I looked at Hae Min confusingly. Suddenly, a familiar woman came running towards him and surprised him with a kiss on his lips. I can see from his face that he was shocked as I am. My whole body froze. A memory suddenly struck my head. A flash back of who Hae Min was in my life before the accident. He was my first love.

"I like you." I said happily as I expected him to feel the same way as I feel. But my whole world started shattering when I heard him say "I am sorry." He said those words. The 3 heartless words that cut my heart into pieces. Words that slapped me direct in the face. It never ended there. I was totally devastated when a girl came. He held her hand and smiled at me and said "You remember Eun Hee, right? Jin Young's sister. She's my girlfriend. " Hearing those words, I felt I was struck by a lightning. I run as fast as I could without thinking and "Bang!" I was hit so hard by a car that I was thrown over a few feet away and dropped on my head. I felt blood running down my face. I hear voices calling my name. As my eyes were slowly drifting to close, I uttered one last word before I totally lost consciousness- his name. "Hae Min."

I clearly remembered what happened that day. My heart was in great pain that I could hardly breathe. I grasped my dress and fell straight down.

"Rae Yan!" I can hear Rae Joon and Suzy calling out my name. Jin Young and Hae Min rushed towards me. When Hae Min was about to carry me, I heard Jin Young said.

"Let go! She's my girlfriend! Take care of my sister instead."

He carried my motionless body and slowly lost my consciousness in his arms.

I woke up after a couple of hours lying on a not so comfortable bed. When I opened my eyes, I stared at the ceiling but my visions were blurry. I heard beeping sound coming from an IV infusion pump machine. As my sight became clearer, I slowly looked around and saw a familiar place. The first place I saw when I opened my eyes 15 years ago after the accident. I saw the same person standing on the same spot but much older.

"Rae Yan, you're awake." Rae Joon said.

"How are you, Ms. Kim? It's been a long time since the last time we saw each other." Dr. Jung said as he checked on my vitals.

"I'm okay. Why am I here?" I asked curiouly.

"You suddenly collapsed and lost consciousness. It's been too long since you had attacks like this. Did something happen? Do you feel any pain? Do you remember anything? Please tell me." He asked.

"Yes. I remember everything that happened before the accident. I wish I didn't remember all those memories so I won't have experienced so much pain." I said as tears came rushing down my cheeks.

"We'll leave you for now to check on the results of your CT and MRI scans. Take a rest." He said as he and the nurse left the room.

A few minutes later, Hae Min opened the door. As he was a couple of steps away from my bed, I rolled my body on my side and said.

"Please leave. Now I know who you are. Now I have all my memories of you. But still, hearing your name makes my head hurt so much and seeing your face hurts my heart more. Please leave. I don't want to see you anymore. I don't want this so much pain anymore." I said as tears came rushing out of my eyes. I bit my lip to stop myself from crying out loud.

"You heard what she said. Please leave!" Jin Young said.

"You too Jin Young! Please all of you! Leave me alone!" I said.

"Let's go out for a coffee." Rae Joon said to Hae Min. Then I heard the door behind me closed.

—————————————————————————