one

that smile, there's a hidden message there
i cant smile, you're throwing thorns at me

▬▬

Jackson Wang will be the death of her

     'Hello, Teddy.'

     'Huh?'

     Shitshitshit!

     One part of her expected it to be him, the other didn't, and so she contemplated how idealistic pinching herself right then would've been.

     Today marked two weeks since their tutoring sessions drew to a close. He aced the subject, retained his spot with his brownball clique, fist-bumped as a thank you and moved on. The end. And things ending on decent terms did not mean she didn't expect something. More substantial. Less fist-bumpy, more chummy-chummy.

      This was college. It was meant to be a lot less easier than it used to, complication taking a new shape. Was a date too much to ask?

      No, it isn't, she decided. Everyone knew wishing for a date and going in for the kill were two separate things, yet somehow went hand-in-hand. One didn't thrive without the other. Teddy could live a thousand lives—as a successful woman, as a guy, as a geriatrician even, and she neither liked medicine nor respected old people—and not a single one would have her as Jackson Wang's girl. Things were about to change however, where the impossible was as convenient as an assurance in the possible, and the particular brunette holding a basketball under his armpit in his varsity jacket remembered her name and called for her with a soft voice. He was within hearing proximity and created a beautiful aesthetic of carefreeness, castles in air, and high jinks.

     Around them was the hopeless backdrop of their mates, powered more by coffee than the desire to scale through college, perambulating (more like dragging their bodies to heaven knew where) and a certain raven-haired douche (everything Jackson was not) closing in from a distance. Bothered by the latter to a point, Teddy considered the few stops he would make along the way before reaching them. By then, Jackson would be in and out of her life a second time. Once again, taking without leaving so much as his number.

      Then again, that was much.

      Perturbed down to the bone, she took her time in turning to face him. To be honest, Teddy Im was slow because she thought it was enough time to come to in case this was a dream. A very blissful slumber, but she saw no point indulging fantasies. In the process, the dark head which was rather hard to miss because it'd grown into the height of her day overtime was halfway already, enough to jolt her into locking gazes with Jackson. At this time, what she felt in her belly was bittersweet since she may or may not have felt gladdened. There would be third company soon to spare her a little of the trauma to come.