four

while seeing you like that,
i'm smiling outside but actually i'm not fine

•—•

When Teddy shuts the passenger's side door of Wonpil's greyish Corolla at 4p

When Teddy shuts the passenger's side door of Wonpil's greyish Corolla at 4p.m. on Saturday, she immediately takes to scouring the area for Jackson. He promised to be here (I'll bring a couple of friends if you don't mind be here) and she banks on that assurance. Not on the fact that he would be here because the host is a close friend of his. Teddy pushes down a growing discomfort: he stands her up. She has done a twice over on the few present—all unfamiliar, except the host, who stands off to the side to watch a couple of their mates stack high logs of wood in a heap. Park Jinyoung looks very totalitarian. The less busy try to make new friends: one loner slowly inches closer to a fellow loner tapping their phone near a pine tree until shy intros make subtle transits to small talk and small talk would be unmistakable guffaws by the end of the bonfire. It will proceed to alert Teddy that another set of individuals fated for each other have become friends.

      Reminds her of her discussion with the boy stood to her right.

      So, Wonpil is still cowering under the impression of being designated driver, the reason why he stands here against his will. But everyone likes to live a little every now and then, including him. Plus, he wouldn't pass up on a chance to scout out new additions to his ridiculous club. It's about those new recruits after all. But even with the kind of kerfuffle to come, Teddy doubts her friend ends up finding people ready to sacrifice their social time to kill their social lives. Simply, losers. Except they fall under super nice i.e the Cha Eunwoo Category, who don't know when to lie their way out of anything, not even to protect their dignity.

      Park Sungjin, on her left, would have looked out of place in his sweater and midnight blue dress pants if Jinyoung isn't sporting a similar ensemble. Geeks. Teddy is grateful that on the bright side he bailed out on the formal shoes. And given the effort he's put into fitting in, she hates to be the one to rain on his parade, so she zips her lips, throws away the keys, lets him bask in the daringness of a dull brown knitted sweater paired with white Air Force converse, hoping she sticks around long enough to keep a close eye on him.

      'So this is what they call a party.' Sungjin is hung up on the scene before him.

      'You talk like that and everyone is going to know the real you, Bob,' Wonpil quips. 'No one wants to know the real y—hey!'

      Teddy elbows him in the gut. He lacks civility, much less mindfulness of whom his words might affect. But Sungjin is a big sweetheart, inside and out, and still grins like Wonpil just gave him the warm-fuzzy.

      'Cut him some slack. Like you're any better. Don't listen to him, Sungjin,' she says. 'Jinyoung is no different than you are. I bet you both can bond over post-it notes and favourite professors.'