Chapter 6

Veronica woke up the next morning to an empty bed. She sat up quickly and called out Robert's name.

"Robert?!" She heard something in the kitchen and relaxed a little bit. There was shuffling feet and then her door opened. Robert came in and sat on the bed

"Morning. I didn't want to wake you up. You needed to sleep."

"Dont you have sessions today?"

"i cancelled them. My first one was at 8. There's no way I'm leaving you alone after last night."

"You didn't have to do that. I'm perfectly fine on my own."

"I know you are. But I felt more comfortable being here."

"You're the best" She kissed him and then got out of bed.

"I made breakfast."

"You did?"

"Yeah. French Toast."

"How did you know that that's my favorite?"

"It's your favorite?"

"Yeah. My dad used to make it for me every sunday." She looked at her feet. "My dad died 3 years ago. He was in a car accident like 3 blocks away from our house."

"I'm so sorry."

"It's ok."

"What happened?"

"Some dumb ass teenager ran into the middle of the incredibly busy street on a fucking dare and he swerved to avoid them. He smashed into a brick building and completely flattened the car. The Medical Examiner said he died immediately." Robert pulled her in for a hug.

"That's horrible."

"I'm better now. He and I were really close. 95% of people who met us said that I was a small, female version of him" She said with a laugh. "I'm incredibly proud of that."

"You should be. Some day I would love to hear all about him."

"I would love to tell you about him. I think he would have loved you. Knowing how he was, he probably would have told me to marry you on the spot."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. You're exactly the type of person he always saw me with. Good looking, caring, friendly, smart, and literally everything else that makes you, you."

"I wish I could have met him."

"Me too. But for now, we'll have to settle with eating my favorite breakfast."

"Sounds good to me."

They sat and talked about their lives before meeting each other. It was nice and normal. This is the type of life she wanted when she envisioned being in a relationship. She wanted someone who genuinely cared about her. And even though they hadn't been dating for more than a week, she knew that Robert was that person. She had a gut feeling.

As they ate, her phone rang from her bedroom. She jumped up and ran to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hi is this Veronica?"

"Yes."

"Hello Veronica this is Ben Singer, the casting director for Heathers."

"Oh hi!"

"Hey, so We got your resume and application and I think you would be perfect to play Veronica."

"Wait really?!"

"Absolutely. Would you be available to come in tomorrow for an audition? We don't normally do this but you pretty much have the part but this is just a formality. I actually saw you in Hamilton when I was in Chicago last year."