Stage 16: But What?

"It is someone in a something whose age will never grow and whose beauty will never fade."

"Can't you be more specific?" I asked in an annoyed tone.

Thomas just raised a brow at me and raked his hand through his messy silver locks. He had been giving me almost impossible tasks this past week and this one was one of those vague games of his to test if I was suited to be the lover of Cinder. There was something very weird about this fellow like birds suddenly landing on him like he was a harmless statue even when he was walking. One minute I turned my back at him and he would disappear.

I have noticed something very concerning as well.

It was about his health.

He looked paler than the white marbles, he looked less enthusiastic, and he looked weaker than an old cow. I was not concerned of him because we were friends —it was the exact opposite, but rather, Cinder will be saddened. I hate the fact that Cinder gave him smiles and I hate the way his eyes sparkled when Cinder gave him attention.

I wanted to be the one who made Cinder smile but, I cannot restrict Cinder from seeing Thomas. Cinder will hate me and I can't have that. I was doing this for him and I'd hate to admit it and it will surely eat up my pride but I've learned from Thomas that I must let Cinder do what he wanted because he was always restricted to do so. That was my wakeup call and my cue to kill old habits.

Cinder entered my office room with a big and expectant smile on his face. He looked between the two of us and his smile faded and was replaced by a worried expression when he saw Thomas who was sitting on the soft cushions of the long sofa.

"Thomas you look worse than a dead fish!" Cinder exclaimed.

"Thank you for pointing that out," Thomas sighed.

"You should go see a doctor," I advised.

Thomas shook his head and Cinder looked more worried. "This is not something a doctor can cure," he stated. I felt a bit of sympathy for this man. I knew I hated him but I was also thankful that he was very caring towards his cousin.

"Thomas..." Cinder murmured sadly. I do not like the twisting pain in my heart from hearing Cinder's sad tone.

"Why don't you spend some time with Thomas, Cinder? I must attend to some duties," I announced. Cinder gave me a grateful look and Thomas only nodded at me. I watched them go and sighed. I must find the object that Thomas was referring to in Cinder's ex house. "Someone in a something whose age will never grow and whose beauty will never fade; did Madame Peanut and her nutty daughters cage someone there?" I asked myself. I do hope I can find this person and prove to Thomas that I was good enough for Cinder.

I left the castle and rode my horse towards the old Skippy's house. Everything was quiet and only the chirping of the birds made the house less scary. I hopped down and patted my black stallion. I must now search the whole house and see if there were any secret passages that led to a torturing room or something.

Dear God, if I find any torture rooms and I find out that they have hurt my Cinder more than I know then forgive me Lord because prison will be considered hell for those nuts. I started with Cinder's room. I was furious at the fact that they made him sleep on a bed that nearly looked like its four legs were snapping.

The wood in this room was rotting and getting eaten up by insects. I just cannot bear to imagine how Cinder must have felt and looked like when he was staying here. I must change the prison of those nuts and make them feel what Cinder felt. I looked at every drawer and found nothing. He doesn't even have that much furniture. I got out of the room and entered other rooms that were better than Cinder's.