Chapter One: Lilah's Introduction

Lilah hadn't got two feet out the door when her sister yelled, "Hey!!! You forgot something." Lilah's sister, Havana, held up a framed picture of them from last Christmas. Lilah smiled at her, grabbed the picture, and got into her car. She took a long, deep breath before starting the engine and taking off. She was going back to college today. Spring break was over, and she had to leave her little town once again. It's not that she didn't enjoy her school, she just didn't have much luck at the stereotypical "college life." She liked parties, but wasn't up for them every weekend. She didn't sleep around either. She's always had a hard time at trusting boys since her last relationship ended badly. Her boyfriend of 2 years had been lying to her about basically everything for the last 6 months of their relationship. He did it to cover that he was really cheating on her. Every lie he threw at her she forced herself to believe it because she really thought she loved him. However, she loved her roommate. They had been friends since freshman year of high school. Her name was Melody, but everyone called her Mel. That's another thing, Lilah was actually short for Delilah. Even though Melody often called her Dee, Lilah was her preferred name. Her campus was 3 hours away from her house, so she had a long drive ahead. As she pulled onto the road, she looked into the rearview mirror and her brown eyes stared back at her. She'd always been okay with how she looked. She didn't hate her body, but she didn't love it either. She had long, dark brown hair that appeared almost honey colored in direct sunlight. It was naturally straight, but she preferred it curled. She didn't consider herself skinny, but she wasn't heavy either. She was average height at 5 foot 5. She didn't think of herself as anything special. Lilah was caught up in her thoughts as she drove through the lush trees. She was from the south. She didn't really act like she was though. Lilah loved where she was from, but she always wanted to see the city. She dreamed of visiting New York, Paris, and London more than anything in the world. She'd already traveled with her family to LA, and she was in love. She can't imagine a more spectacular place than that of New York City. Lights, the people, the pigeons, everything! She placed her music on shuffle and one of her new favorite songs by her favorite band started playing. She continued her journey as the music played: "dropped down the lights, I'm sitting with you..."

---------------------------

Author's Note: Hi there! This my first time ever publishing anything. I know the chapter is short, I just wanted to test the waters. Make sure to read the description if you haven't, details are important. Thank you to anyone who reads this. Have a lovely day.

-L