Chapter 1

-New York, SHIELD HQ. 2006-

"I don't want to get Italian," I stated. "I'm already exhausted from the flight back, I don't want to give myself a food coma." 

Clint, Natasha, and I were stopped in the most inconvenient spot in the middle of the hallway at SHIELD Headquarters. Agents were forced to walk around us as we stood, discussing where we should get dinner. We had just returned from our mission in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. We handed in the biological weapon, got Estaban Gonzalez arrested, gave a mission report, and now we were free to go. Clint was the one who suggested we go out to eat. 

"The food coma is the best part," Natasha stated. "Best thing after a long mission." 

"It's a 2-1 vote, Ellie," said Clint. "You lost." 

I sighed and gave Clint a playful smile with my nose scrunched. The same one that I often gave my father long ago. Clint returned the expression and clapped his hands. 

"So, which restaurant?" He asked. 

"Mmm..." Natasha lifted her chin as she thought. "Mario's." 

"I've heard it's expensive," I said. 

Natasha lowered her head to look at me. "But you've never been?" I shook my head. "Ooh, Frosty. You are missing out. Clint, we're taking her to Mario's." 

"Mario's, it is." Clint nodded. 

~~~

The three of us approached the hostess at the podium and she smiled as she looked up from her checklist. 

"Hello, welcome! How many tonight?" 

"Just us three," Clint answered. 

We decided to keep the outfits we had worn in Ciudad Juarez. It was convenient and they were nice clothes. Natasha still refused to admit that her light outfit was growing on her. 

"Will you be needing a kids menu?" The hostess asked.  

Natasha looked down to hide her grin and I suppressed a groan when I realized that she was referring to me. 

Clint smiled. "No, thank you." 

The hostess slowly realized her mistake and I gave her an awkward smile. She grinned nervously and grabbed three menus from her podium and had us follow her through the dining room to a small table. We sat down and our menus were placed in front of us. I smiled politely at the hostess and as she walked back to the podium, I turned my head to see Natasha and Clint staring directly at me. The three of us burst into quiet laughter and lowered our heads to not disturb the rest of the guests. 

"Someone, give me a super serum so I can grow another foot," I said. 

"Oh, my God!" Natasha lifted her head and smiled. 

"See, this is why I don't go out," I explained and opened my menu. 

"Alright, shall we get a bottle of wine?" Clint suggested. 

"Yes, please." Natasha opened her menu as well. 

I glanced down at all the appetizers and entrees. All of them were hot dishes except for the salads. My brows furrowed. Clint must have noticed my dismal look and pointed to the pasta section. 

"Pasta is good both warm and room temperature," he said. 

"That's true." I nodded, turning my attention to that section. 

"Have you ever tried pesto?" Clint asked. 

"No..." I replied, looking over the menu. 

"It's pretty good. Tt's a basil sauce that you put on pasta. Good with chicken, too."