Chapter 16

It seemed as if every agent was running frantically through the halls. I tightened my grip on Henry's hand to keep me from getting left behind in the crowd. We weren't sure if this was good news or bad news. We had another doozy on the computers after a year of silence, and this time, words were spoken from the speakers that went along with the Ghost's message. As soon as the message went down, a lot of the agents got messages on their pagers. Not all of the messages were the same. Some of the agents were told to meet at the mainframe of our computers. Some were sent to the security main office. 

Henry and I were caught in the middle of training when the room's TV screen glitched. It caught us by surprise, especially since it started with a high-pitched ringing from the speakers. Once the screen went black again, our pagers told us to move to the conference room. That was where we were headed now. It was a little unfortunate that it happened thirty minutes before Henry and I were going to leave for a dinner reservation. 

Two things were on my mind as Henry pulled me through the hall. One: How is my hand not freezing his wrist? Two: What did the Ghost mean in his message? 

"You don't know whose lies you are selling." 

"SHIELD endangers its Agents like they are nothing." 

"Better safe than sorry." 

I stumbled over my own footing and Henry lurched back. He pivoted to turn to me and readjusted his hold on my hand. 

"Pick up your feet," he said. 

"Sorry," I muttered. 

Henry pivoted again and we continued our winding trek to the conference room. Today was another bitter day for Henry. This is something I got used to over the past year. Some days he's in a bad mood and will get snappy, but everyone has their days, right? Right. He should be better by tomorrow. But that will also depend on what Fury has to announce at this meeting. 

Henry used his shoulder to push open the conference room doors and the sight was something that I was not used to. Extra chairs had been pulled up to the table and agents were squeezed next to each other. Fury was at his usual spot, but on either side of him was Agent Hill and Coulson. Clint and Natasha were not able to snag a seat and were standing along the wall with other agents. 

Clint caught my eye and looked pointedly at a small space next to him. I was about to step towards them, but felt Henry tug my hand and pull me to stand with Rumlow. I looked at Clint and mouthed "sorry" before standing in front of Henry. A few more agents entered the room and Sitwell, who was able to snag a seat, nodded to Fury. 

"That's everyone." 

Fury rubbed the back of his head and folded his hands on the table in front of him. He looked around the room and the chatter quieted down. 

"I don't need to explain what just happened, I'm sure you all saw it, or heard it," Fury began. "But, we found the source." A murmur traveled through the group of agents and a few exchanged glances. Fury continued. "We tracked the source to an empty apartment building in San Diego, California. One room is packed with tech, old and new." 

"Did you find the person behind it?" Someone asked. 

"We did," Fury replied. "Sitwell, if you will." 

"Yes, sir," Sitwell answered. 

He clicked his tablet screen and the large monitor displayed a photo of a blonde man. It was a SHIELD profile photo, showcasing the man's name and level clearance. Jonathan Bell, Level 7. Field Agent and Tech. I had never seen him before, but those who had seen him looked confused. Henry shifted his feet behind me and I glanced back at him. He stared at the picture with a scowl. Well, he definitely knows him.