f i v e

Shuffling through his blue Nike bag he pulled out an oily plastic pouch filled with banana chips. She gazed at his actions curiously. It was minutes past sunset when he had finally graced his presence, in jeans and striped shirt. His shirt tucked inside and hair combed perfectly, jeans tight around his buttock and smile sadly when he greeted her. She has been waiting for him for an hour now. It has been unsaid routine now, both coming up, talking for a while and getting back to their business.

"Here?" He forwarded the packet to her. His finger slightly brushing with her palm.

Yesterday when they were talking she had mentioned how banana chips worked as a stress buster for her, she had smiled sadly and told him it made her feel good.

"Do I look sad to you?" She raised her eyebrows as he hopped up beside her. His bag falling lifelessly on the floor.

"Nah." He said shrugging. His gaze locked with the dim sky.

"I am sad." He pointed sheepishly gazing sidewards towards her.

"Okay." She trailed the syllable.

It has been almost a week now, they were more comfortable with each other now, she had concluded he was any normal guy with a rowdy moustache and well-built body. He was calm, friendly and smart.

"I had a test and I failed." He shrugged, his voice dripping down.

"Test of?" She asked turning towards him. She had ignored the sunset like the plague as soon as he had accompanied her on the terrace. It was new to her, ignoring sunset.

"Okay, so." He turned towards her, his right leg pulling up as she sat cross-legged. She gazed at him, his eyes trailing as he looked nervous.

He had noticed her, she was a calm storm. She had this cute little button nose which would grow redder and fatter when she would describe what she feels about sunset.

"Look...wait, what?" He stopped, his voice shocked.

"We never exchanged our names." He signed with bewilderment.

"Oh, right." Her smile was bubbly as she pulled her hair into a bun.

"Hey Advik, I am Rhea?" She forwarded her hand.

"Rhea." He spelt smiling.

"I am...how do you know my name?" He snapped looking shocked again. His bad exam all in vain, his mind moved on from that topic. He looked bewildered.

"Well, I have sources." She trailed off pulling her body to face the clouds. Pink sky. Her eyes mischievous as she realised he wasn't that smart considering he was wearing his ID.

"How?" He whispered looking at her. His eyes suddenly locked with her frame.

Her side view was making him glittery, she had a perfect double chin. It made him want to feel it under his thumb.

"Test?" She asked again smiling slightly at his state. His gaze was intense when she turned towards him. She looked at his state and flustered under his gaze.

"Yeah, I am preparing for ISRO." He started looking at the clouds praying it would distract him. It was already too much heat to sit beside her but he was loving having a friend already.

"Wow." Her gaze back to him.

"Yeah."

"When is your exam?" She asked

"Two months." He nodded.

"Wow, Advik. I can't believe I am sitting with a future scientist." She said.

"Well, I failed." He shrugged. His smile was sad. He had been preparing for ISRO for the last five months and he hoped he would get into it.

She looked at him as he refused to look back at her. He was gazing at now dull sky. It was already growing dark. She pulled her hand and softly kept it above his, she felt him shudder as he gazed at their hand.

"Still a future scientist." She smiled when he locked his eyes with her. He gulped. She was making him feel things already. He shifted in his place when she pulled her hand back. Trying to lighten up his facade he grinned.

"Well, this future scientist want to know how did you get to know my melodious name?" He asked.

. . .

Feedback?