[1/9]

It was dinner time at the camp, and you sat in the mess hall at your usual, quiet table with Annie, Bertolt and Reiner. You were just finishing up your potato stew when you raised an abrupt question.

"Guys." you gained your group's attention, "Who would you hook up with out of all the trainees?"

Reiner laughed at your inquiry. "Why?"

"I'm just curious. Some of the guys here are cute," you flushed.

"I think..." Reiner began., "Krista is definitely the hottest girl here."

"And you, Bertolt?"

Bertolt threw on a smug expression. "Well, obviously you,"

You laughed at his joke. "I'm serious!"

"Okay, okay," Bertolt looked around and sighed. "Ymir is pretty hot. My type, one-hundred percent."

"If you were to have kids with her, they would be, like, eight feet tall," Annie snarked.

"Oh, how lovely of you to talk! What about you, Annie? If you had to pick, who'd you hook up with?" You grinned, throwing your arm over her shoulder.

She clicked her tongue and looked around. "Armin, I guess."

"How about you, [Y/N]?" Reiner asked.

Humming, you examined the boys in the room. "Marco's pretty cute. Actually, I'd go for every boy at that table... maybe even the girl too."

"I think I figured out [Y/N]'s type," Bertolt smiled. "Eldians."

"I'm sorry!" you laughed. "I can't help it!"

After dinner, you were walking back to your cabin with Annie, when you posed another inquiry.

"Would it kill us if I made a move on someone?" you asked, "We're going to be here for three years, I might as well get semi-comfortable."

"Why don't you just date Bertolt or Reiner? That would be beneficial for everyone," Annie suggested.

"I can't. I've known them since I was a toddler. They're like my brothers."

"Just make sure you don't get attached. After camp, we're out of here, and leaving this place for good," Annie said.

"Of course," you flashed a smile.

After a moment mutual silence and dragged out, heavy footsteps, Annie broke the quiet.

"Actually, I take it back. I don't trust you. You're too sensitive," she snarked. "Your heart is too big. If it weren't for your physical abilities, you wouldn't have been chosen to come here just because of your personality."

"What is that supposed to mean? Are you telling me because I'm a good human being I wouldn't have been chosen?" you retorted, unhappy with Annie's backhanded remark.

"Chosen for what?" A voice said behind you.

Footsteps were heard running towards you, and you shot Annie a scared look. Soon enough, Sasha squeezed herself between you and Annie, wrapping her arm around your shoulders.

You stuttered, "Oh, nothing. We're just talking about..."

"A will. Our great grandmother passed away," Annie finished your sentence quickly with something totally fake and unrelated.

"Aw, my condolences!" Sasha pouted.

"Thanks," Annie replied.

"Sorry that I barged in, I just wanted to walk with you ladies — since we share a cabin and all," Sasha sighed.

"Of course!" you chirped.

You shared a cabin with Annie, Sasha, and Mikasa. It was quite a great balance; Sasha was the boisterous one, and you the sweeter one. Mikasa and Annie were more stern and made sure nothing crazy happened, which was why your cabin was the last remaining not to get into trouble by Keith Shadis.

The following day, hand-to-hand combat was on the agenda. Pairings were made and switched at random. Your first partner was Marco, which you were slightly glad about; He was tall, but a gentleman, and was known to be easy going in these types of exercises. You made small talk with him while sparring.

"So, you're from Jinae?" you inquired, sparking a conversation.

He nodded and smiled. "Sure am. And you?"

"Shiganshina," you lied. "I don't need your pity, though. The wound's fully healed."

"Good to hear," he chuckled, beginning to breathe heavier as the sparring got more intense. "What division are you aiming for?"

"Military Police. I'd like to be safe and sound in the interior, you know?"

"Me too!" Marco exclaimed.

Commander Shadis blew his whistle and ordered everyone to exchange partners. Marco rested his hands on his knees and caught his breath as beads of sweat trickled off his hair and onto the ground.

"Nice talking to you! I'll see you around?" Marco bid.

"For sure!" you smiled and averted your attention to your next partner.

Connie waved and jogged towards you. He was much shorter than Marco, but still had a height advantage... by a measly inch. His eyes were a piercing honey colour — they were quite alluring.

"Hi!" You chirped, welcoming your new partner.

"You ready?" He said confidently, getting into his fighting stance.

"Always," You smirked.

As you fought against Connie, you soon realized that he wasn't the strongest cadet you had faced. You swiftly took him down with a thud.

"Really, Connie? You let a girl beat you?" You teased, smirking at him.

"Guess so. At least I got brains, though," he chuckled, tapping his temple.

"Don't kid yourself, Springer! You're dumb and weak! Get up and work on it!" Commander Shadis shouted in the distance, overhearing your conversation.

You laughed at his comment and held your stomach, meanwhile Connie was unamused.

"I'll show that shit-bag who's weak!" He growled.

"It's okay, Connie. You have three more years of training, I'm sure you'll get better!" You gave him your hand.

He took it and you pulled him back up. He wiped the dirt off his pants and sighed, "There's no hope."

"Don't say that! We just started here! If you really want your place in the top ten, you'll get it. Just work hard!" You tried cheering him up with kind words of encouragement.

"Alright, maggots! Go wash up and change, it's time for lunch!" Shadis shouted.

The trainees saluted him and set off to their cabins. You looked over at Connie and smiled. "I'll catch you later?"

"Totally," he shone you his teeth and skipped away to catch up with Sasha.