epilogue

You fell to the ground and coughed, choking on liquid hardening. You looked around and wondered why your hardening had melted, and saw Annie on the floor too. You heard a loud, rumbling noise.

"What's that sound?" You weakly asked Annie.

"It sounds like titans..."

You unsteadily stood up, and pointed to a door. Annie nodded and followed you out. You began scavenging the area for an exit, so you could find out what was happening outside. You shot a worried look at Annie when you unexpectedly heard the sounds of footsteps. She grabbed your wrist and pulled you into another room, which seemed to be a library. You pinned your back against the one of the bookshelves, waiting to see who would walk in — Whoever it was, they were sure to follow the trail of liquid you and Annie left behind.

"I'll put them in a chokehold, you hold your pocket knife to their throat," Annie ordered. You nodded and waited for your victim to approach.

The footsteps got closer and louder, but slower as they approached the room. You saw a shadow walk through the door, and Annie pounced onto her victim. You promptly took out your pocket knife and held it to the soldier's throat. To your surprise, the soldier was none other than your former roommate in the interior, Hitch Dreyse.

"Hitch!" You exclaimed.

"If you even make the slightest bit of noise, we'll slit your throat." Annie growled.

Hitch kicked you back and threw Annie over her shoulders, now having you both in her restraints.

"How the tables have turned," Hitch smirked. "You're so weak, I could've sworn I was tackling an old lady."

After days of Hitch catching you and Annie up on the current situation, the rumbling had stopped and your ears were able to finally have some peace. Hitch was taking you to a small festival, where Jaegerists sold food and baked goods, celebrating Eren conquering the world. It made you sick to your stomach, but at least you could finally have some good eats after four years of utter isolation. You and Annie disguised yourselves with cloaks and Hitch found a table where you could sit.

"Be right back, I'll go buy the pie," she said, smiling.

You watched all the villagers cry victorious and indulge in fresh food. Amid the crowd, you noticed a group of cadets that wore Survey Corps uniforms. You tapped Annie's shoulders and pointed in that direction.

"Do you think that's..."

"It's them. For sure." Annie cut you off. "Give me a pen, do you have a pen?"

You searched your pockets for a pen, and gave it to Annie. She wrote a note on a tissue a stuck it between the wooden panels in the table. She then grabbed your arm and dragged you through the crowd.

"What about Hitch?" You asked her.

"I left her a note. We need to reunite with the Scouts and figure this situation out." She answered.

You followed the pair of cadets, until they finally sat down at a table. You immediately recognized the faces of the two cadets; Connie and Armin.

They'd both grown since you last saw them years ago. Connie grew out his buzzcut, and Armin cut his hair. Connie was much taller than you remembered him being, and was now almost six feet tall.

Annie shushed you and sneakily sat next to the two boys, who continued their conversation and paid no attention to you. You desperately wanted to call out Connie's name, but Annie refrained you from doing so. While the boys continued their conversation with two younger children, Annie quietly took Armin's pie and began devouring it.

"Eh? Annie, that's not yours!" You whispered.

Connie and Armin turned their heads at your voice, and stared at you wide-eyed. You and Annie returned the stare, waiting for them to break the silence.

"Annie, what a rude way to eat pie! She's eating so messily!" Connie nervously laughed, almost maniacally.

"She hasn't had pie in four years, Connie! Cut her slack!" Armin defended.

"It's okay, Annie, you can continue eating your pie. My boyfriend's just being a little insensitive." You teased Connie. "Or have you found someone new?"

Connie slowly stood up from his seat and stuttered. "N-no. No one new."

"Boyfriend?" One of the children, Gabi, exclaimed. "An Eldian and a Marleyan soldier of all?"

You also stood up from your seat, taking small steps towards Connie. "So, you waited for me?"

"I don't think I had time to think about starting another relationship. Do you even know what has happened recently?" Connie explained, raising an eyebrow.

"I know everything." You stated. "And we need to fix this mess that Eren started, stat."

"She's right." Gabi agreed.

Connie chuckled at your ambition and gave you a sincere look. "I'm so glad to have you back."

You smiled and gave Connie a warm hug. You held each other for what seemed like forever, and were beyond happy to be back with Connie. He could easily say the same.

There was no resting once you'd set off on your mission to stop Eren, but you got a few moments of privacy with Connie while you were stocking up some wagons with weapons and food.

You slowly approached him and traced your finger on his back.

"I missed you." You muttered.

Connie turned around and locked his eyes with yours. "Not as much as I have."

You wrapped your arms around Connie's neck and hoped that he would make a move. You didn't want to seem too outgoing, since it had been four years since you were last with him physically. Not to mention a garage wasn't the best place to commit adultery in.

Connie shot you a feint smile and tucked a piece of your messy hair behind your ear. He rested his hand on your cheek, and went in for a long, passionate kiss. You moved your lips in-sync with his, finally attending to a yearning you had for physical affection.

Indeed, it was like you said; it's like you were jumping the fence. But not in the sense that you spoke of. Instead of running away to freedom, you were just breaking the stereotypical boundaries of love. You were simply trespassing into new territory, rather than escaping from confinement. If anything, falling in love with Connie was your escape to freedom. It was almost considered a sin for a Marleyan to fall in love with an Eldian, not to mention a Marleyan soldier who was trained to despise Eldian's. It was a breath of fresh air, being with someone so innocent and accepting.

All in all, you didn't regret starting a relationship with Connie in the slightest, and the happiness he brought you overlooked all the sadness you brought down onto each other.

"I've never stopped thinking about you through these past years." Connie mentioned. "I still love you."

You whispered. "I love you, too."