[6/9]

You jumped into Connie's arms and wrapped your legs around his waist. He pinned you against the wall and began kissing up and down your neck with swift movements. You took his face into your hands and kissed him softly, detaching and reattaching your lips multiple times.

"Congrats on the top ten," You whispered under your breath, making eye contact with your boyfriend.

"It's only thanks to you," he smirked and kissed you once more.

You let yourself down and walked away from the wall. Tomorrow, there'd be a ceremony held for the graduates and you'd finally get to pick your regiment. Both you and Connie made the top ten, which gave you the opportunity to work together in the interior.

"What's your final decision?" You asked Connie, wrapping your arms around his neck.

"I'll join the Garrison with Sasha," he told you. "I know you've asked me to join the MP's, but I don't think I'll be able to sit still in the interior. I hope Jean and Marco don't get disappointed."

"They'll support you, I'm sure of it. As long as you don't join the Survey Corps, right? That is what Jean said," you noted with a song-song voice.

Connie chuckled. "Right."

Annie walked into your cabin and disrupted your conversation. She scoffed at your affection towards Connie, and proceeded to change her clothes.

"Hi, Annie," you greeted her, letting go of Connie.

"Connie, May I have a word with [Y/N]? She'll reconnect with you at dinner." Annie retorted.

"Yea, sure," Connie walked out of the cabin, shutting the door on his way out.

You sat on your bed and sighed, already knowing what Annie was going to tell you.

"[Y/N]... tomorrow, we breach another wall. When are you going to end things with Connie? I know you don't want to, but you have to. He might catch on." Annie said with a softer-than-usual tone

"I know, Annie. I'll break up with him when you and I head to the interior. He's joining the Garrison, so we'll get separated anyway," you sighed.

"I trust you," she began. "But, please, don't fuck anything up for us. The three of us are very glad that you've found happiness with Connie, but you can't lose sight of what we're here to do. We'll go back to Marley once we've gotten the founder and you can get married and have kids and what not. Okay?"

You let out a long groan and fell back onto the bed. You stared at the bunk above you, and let your thoughts take over. "I've almost forgotten about the founder."

"Me too. I'll feel horrible after we leave, but if we go back now, we're dead. This is life or death." Annie explained.

"It's like we're jumping the fence..." you muttered under your breath.

"Jumping the fence?"

"That's exactly what we're doing." You sat back up and looked at Annie. "We're prisoners that are executing a jail break. We've jumped the fence, and we only want one thing; our freedom. But once we start running, we can't turn back, or else the guards will get us — kill us. So all we have to do is keep running and carry on with what we have to do, no matter the cost."

Annie nodded in agreement. "That's an odd metaphor to use, but I suppose you're correct. You made that up, didn't you?"

"I feel like a prisoner, Annie. Like a slave. I'm a sacrifice for Marley's selfish desires. Shit, I'm only seventeen! I've been manipulated into raiding an innocent nation, who frankly doesn't even know there's a whole world outside these pitiful walls." You paused, sighed, then continued. "We only have nine more years of life, Annie. That's not enough for me to get married. Definitely not enough for me to have kids. I'm a puppet now. That's why I chose to find someone here, because it's the closest thing I'll get to love."

Annie just nodded and continued preparing for dinner. She fully agreed with what you said, but there was nothing that could be done anymore.

"The damage has been dealt. Now we just have to endure it." Annie stated.

You nodded and sat in silence with Annie as she continued packing her bags.

She broke the quiet. "Are you in love with him?"

You stared into blank space and processed the inquiry. You hadn't given any thought to that possibility.

"I think... so," you sighed.

"Then I'm happy for you. Just... keep us in the back of your mind."

"Right."

After dinner, you met with Connie on the steps of your veranda, and sat next to him. He took your hand into his and you rested your head on his shoulder.

"Do you think... we can still stay together after we go our separate directions?" Connie asked.

Your heart jumped at his question. You weren't sure how to answer it. "I don't know."

"Are you afraid that we won't see each other?"

You shook your head. "No, I just don't know if we'll be able to stay together. That's all."

Connie nodded. There was a silence, and he broke it. "Is everything okay? You've been acting a little weird lately."

"Yes, everything is fine. I'm fine. Don't worry." You lied to him. It hurt lying to Connie, but you had no choice.

"Can I stay with you tonight?" Connie asked.

"Yea, sure. I'd like that." You nodded and stood up. You walked into your cabin and noticed everyone else was fast asleep. You got into bed with Connie.

He wrapped his arms around you, and you pressed your face against his warm body. While drifting into sleep, your mind was overwhelmed with thoughts about the following day. How would it play out? Will people catch you? And above all, what if you died?