Chapter Six

The sky was getting lighter as the pastel colors covered the horizon

The sky was getting lighter as the pastel colors covered the horizon. We had all gathered in this clearing as we awaited the sunrise. We gathered every morning for this, to have the Morning Meeting.

We had done it ever since we could see the sun rising, even the day after our escape. We were intelligent, and usually the oldest ones talked about strageties. Who would hunt, who would be sentry, who would give food to the fledglings. Because they were bottomless pits for days..

One could prevent it, but one was fully aware of it and could feel it as he or she fought the deep instinctive pull. Our intelligence defined us mroe than our wings or our mindvoices; it united us in ways that words cannot explain. One guy had managed to resist the Morning Meeting for three days before finally giving in - and he never attempted it a second time.

We chose a different location every evening and would gather there as the sky lightened at dawn. Ramsey watched as the sun started to peek over the horizon. It was only a matter of time until the meeting began. It was almost as if nothing else mattered in the world. Like being high on intelligence. The fledglings would be in the middle of the circle just listening as they were not old enough to actually know what we're talking about. Not just yet.

After about an hour, the sun cleard the horizon and the force driving the Morning Meeting faded. We splitoff and went our own ways for the day. Ramsey flew up into the canopy, flying higher until she found a branch to lay across. We changed the Morning Meeting location every day, although we did tend to frequent certain areas regularly. If our scent lingered in one spot for too long, the titans would be attracted to the smell. 

After resting for a bit, Ramsey jumped off the branch and altered her path and headed for a sandy section of beach along a slow moving creek. Our wings needed careful cleaning or the folds couldhide a lot of things that could itch. Ramsey landed by the water's edge and rolled near the sand, right on the smooth rocks. Grabbing some rocks she rubbed where the wing connected to her back near her shoulder, the smaller smoother rocks getting all the nooks and crannys.

Ramsey walked into the shallow water along the edge of the creek to rinse herself off. She began to think about the Scout Regiment. Although they've seen some gryphons along the tree line, they didn't bother us as long as we didn't bother them.

Humans usually had a desire to possess anything that they were fascinated with. Thankfully, these humans had not shown any such inclination yet, but we weren't about to take any chances. Ramsey had no desire to be trapped like a bird in a cage. Her experiences from the lab still gave her nightmares. Although, the cage she'd need to be in would have to be huge, as over the seven years she was now almost 9 feet at the shoulder. Her wing span was 15 feet to the tip.

Not many humans would want to capture us. And we were thankful.