Chapter 5: Shaynike & Monarec

The central spire of Tomecliff Pass Academy was made up of thirty huge square rooms stacked on top of each other. Fifteen of these rooms were above ground, creating the towering landmark that lorded over town, bridge and river alike. The other fifteen drilled downward into the cliffs, providing sanctuary and foundation. An angular spiral staircase cut through the middle of each room, connecting each and every one from top to bottom. They called it the boreway.

The highest step of the boreway gave way to the vast, open expanse of the rooftop. It was usually unoccupied, which was why Shaynike liked it. She laid there now on her back. She stared up at the morning sky, feet planted flat on the boreway’s final step, trying to relax. She was not looking forward to future events.

First off, all the excitement surrounding the apparent apprehension of some dangerous criminal had the academy buzzing, which unnerved her. Worse, morning lectures had been cancelled in favour of a general assembly to discuss the matter, which meant a very crowded room, which she hated. Second, the official Crown Pupil contenders were being broadsharded sometime after High Sun, which meant people would be hounding her about her chances for Crown Academic. Since it was practically a guarantee unless she voluntarily dropped out, people would likely be hounding her with congratulations instead.

All this stuff, happening on the same day. It was going to take some serious Bodyanchor Artwork to keep from freaking out. The rooftop was a good place to try and channel it.

Protective walls around the perimeter kept out the stimulating wind – a sensation she usually enjoyed, but not when she was trying to keep a panic attack at bay. Fresh air was in plentiful supply though, and it was blessedly quiet in early part of the day. The Grand Library would have been even quieter, buried some twenty-five rooms below, but the air down there was stuffy and there would be people in it.

Time slipped by, and she slowly reigned in her anxiety. She didn’t even flinch when the taste of blackberry filled her mouth. Chocolate also mixed in… shards coming down from Monarec, no doubt, be she ignored them and began the long descent through the boreway.

The top room was the Dance Hall. She tried not to take in vast, ornate space as she wound down the steps, lest it remind her of the accursed ritual that awaited her some four months away. One hundred and twelve days, precisely, her evil-brain informed her. She squashed the thought.

Next was the Muster Hall, a preparation place mostly, where people would wait and socialize before making their way up to events above. It was profoundly uninteresting to Shay.

She moved through the quiet Grand Kitchen, operational only during major festivities. Past that was the High Feasting Hall. She passed downward through the Tutors’ Quarters and Offices, through the Upper Library, the foreboding Headmentor’s Chambers, and into the Upper Lecture Halls.

Here, the boreway became a bit more populated as the tutors and advisors moved about their business. Some nodded brief acknowledgements to her if she passed them going the opposite way, but most paid her no mind. Thanks to the summons, she didn’t cross paths with any pupils – they were all heading downward too.

The boreway carried her out of the lecture halls and into the Lounge Hall, which was always busy and bright. Past that was the General Feast Hall, where most pupils created and consumed their meals. Now the flow of people was stronger, mostly pupils making their way towards the General Assembly Hall. They moved in excited knots and talked in hushed tones. Eyes flickered everywhere as shardtrade carrying untold amounts of gossip bounced between them. She kept to herself.

The throng grew thicker the closer she got. Shay wasn’t able to distance herself as much as she would’ve liked, but at least no one was talking to her. Finally they descended through into the General Assembly Hall.