Chapter 38: Shaynike & Ellawek

Tomecliff Pass Academy used its glamorous High Feast Hall to host the annual Frostcycle Feast. In contrast to the General Assembly Hall, this space was shaped like a jagged bowl. In the centre was a flat area for the big round head tables. This area was surrounded by platforms that rose in intervals, such that everyone had a decent view of the central area. These platforms held more feasting tables.

The highest, outermost platform came only halfway up the height of the room, leaving a massive open air space above. Four wide, arching stone bridges sprung from the corners of the outer platform to intersect with the boreway near the ceiling. These would give onlookers who did not have a seat a vantage point, and also allow the feast advisors to transport the courses and dirty dishes to and from the Grand Kitchen above.

The traditional colour theme for the Frostcycle was an appropriate wintergreen. Bright Softshadow orbs were placed in crystal globes that clung almost every surface that would allow them: the underside of the bridges, the walls, the shaft of the boreway. Light from the Communal Stone below was boosted for the night. It filtered through mirrored gaps in the boreway shaft, shining spokes of pale green light throughout the space in elaborate shifting patterns. Outside, a beam of light burst into the heavens from the roof; it would be visible for kilometres.

The glassware matched the crystal globes, the flatware matched the light grey walls, and the tablecloths, napkins and chair robes matched the light. The floral arrangements were wintergreen berry clusters and mint leaves.

And Shaynike matched it all. This dress was actually Lauresh’s – tailored slightly to Shay’s shorter and thinner frame. It was smoke grey, one-shouldered, with a complicated and risqué slashed skirt that was imbued with a touch of Glammer Artwork so it occasionally appeared light grey or wintergreen. Pale green hairpin, bracelet and off-centre hip brooch. Crystal earrings. And ridiculously uncomfortable three-inch heels, which cycled their colour with her skirt.

Lauresh’s final comment, before sending her off to join her fellow Crown Pupil contenders for seating was, “transcendent.”

For maybe the first time in her life, Shaynike welcomed the looks and stares she received walking up the boreway to the hall. No less than four boys asked her to the Mountain Dance. She entered the hall from the lower boreway entrance, smiling and wondering what she might wear for the actual Dance.

The contenders and their various coupled pupils usually sat at separate head tables, according to the titles they were vying for. Given the outcomes for this year, and Rek’s glaring absence, they decided to only group the potential Crown Guides.

Mountain Dance council members were also granted a head table, so that’s where they consolidated Shaynike, Ellawek and Faevock. Since tradition demanded they be coupled, the headcount was fourteen: six council members plus Faevock and all their dates.

Shay had diplomatically accepted Zaksar as her date ­– he had cleaned up handsomely in a dark navy blazer and light green slacks (she and Lauresh had asked him to wear a smoke grey blazer, ugh). Affsol was with a girl named Trudi that Shay didn’t know that well. Shay had helped the awkward WeeSeu get out of a bind by convincing Lauresh to offer up ZaoMol. They were both from the Southern Ranges, so it felt like a decent enough coupling. The rest of the dates had familiar faces, but were generally strangers to Shay. She figured she’d get to know them well enough soon.

Well, with the exception of Shaytrak and Flekjoe. Of course, Fae brought Flek (predictable) but Bellajak had inexplicably coupled with Other-Shay. It didn’t even look like the she-hulk had even dressed up for it. Shay tried to sit as far away as possible from the two. She had to sit by Zak, but managed to score a seat beside ZaoMol. Unfortunately, given the table’s circular shape, she would have to look at the tormenters.