Chapter 20: Shaynike & Rekness

In the end, it wasn’t a total disaster. She was worried she’d end up looking like Feducity Risper-us-Along if Mona was given too much creative control over the wardrobe, but they had reached a healthy compromise.

She wore a dress that was slimmer than she normally liked, and a brighter green (“goes with the hair!” according to Mona) than she’d normally wear, and it stopped above her knees. That was the tradeoff between a more revealing neckline. Mona wanted something off-shoulder or sweetheart style, but Shay was set against exposing the skin over her crystal. A fair contention, Shay had gotten her boatneck cut and Mona had thus insisted on the shorter dress length.

The shoes were another battle. For every inch of heel Mona lost, Shay seemed to gain an accessory. Her simple one-inch sandal pumps matched her dress perfectly, as did the green necklace, bracelet, clutch and hairpin. Her mop had been subdued a little, with texture teased in with the help of some Furblend Artwork.

She had won the lipstick and makeup war as well. No lipstick, no eyeliner; just a dab of blush.

Even so, she had felt exposed and a bit preposterous as she headed out of the academy and towards the Peakfast Community House, like some kind of imposter model who had been caught and forced to parade herself about town as punishment. But as she caught sight of some of the other girls who were also going, she felt a little better. Most, if not all of them, were glammed up – some to the point of ridiculousness.

It seemed half the academy had come out to see this show. As she entered the main concourse that presided over the wonderment bowl, she was hailed and heralded and smiled at to a worrisome degree. She began to wonder if there was something messed up about her hair or dress or something when she nearly stumbled headlong into Faevock Summittask.

“And the caterpillar becomes a butterfly,” remarked the girl, who was of course adorned in a breathtaking outfit of gold and white frills, expertly shaped to her figure and styled to seem but a natural extension of her hair. She had her full company with her this mooncycle: Shaytrak and Ellwek, Flek and the Zaks, and a gaggle of other folks including Lauresh and ZaoMol.

“Come sit with us dear, I’ve got preferred seats,” Fae invited, “Ocklou, give her your permit.” A pasty boy in the crowd stiffened, then began to miserably root through his pockets.

Oh crap! thought Shay. She spoke quickly. “Faevock, wow, that’s so so generous of you… but, I am meeting someone, and I have to sit very close to the choir so that I can catch up, and learn, my Songmaster responsibilities.”

Ocklou looked up, hopeful, as Fae scowled. She somehow even looked good when scowling. Wordlessly, the blonde glanced at Ellawek. The black-haired Head Caterer arched an eyebrow at Shay, then snapped a quick nod.

“How boring,” Fae sighed, “next wonderment you will be my guest. Enjoy, and wear that more often, it suits you.” She moved away. Ellawek lingered for a moment, a curious expression on her face, before following. Ocklou mouthed a gracious “thank you!” to her before scampering off, and she grinned after him. Lauresh passed, and gave her a coy thumbs-up and a wink, and Shay’s grin widened. Then she found herself goofily beaming at a passing Zaksar. He took his time tracing his eyes up her body, which killed her grin dead.

She turned away, feeling a blush creeping up her cheeks, and made to escape to some other part of the concourse. She saw Tutor Stoneworth chatting with some advisors and Fistshields, and headed for that group. But before she could reach it: lavender-cardamom chocolate.

‘Hey, over here, by the north entrance.’

She turned and spotted Rekness. He waved. She felt her legs move her forward, until she was standing there before him. The last time she had done this, she was dripping apple chunks, fresh from crying, and had a giant swollen eye. “Hey,” she managed.