Chapter 44: Shaynike & Zaksar

Ocklou yelped, and Mona sprung off the wall and moved between Zak and Shay.

“You followed me, dog,” Mona said.

“He heard us, oh crap oh crap,” Ocklou said.

Zaksar produced an apple and crunched into it, his eyes full of mischief as he watched Mona react to the sight of it. He swallowed, and said: “I was here before any of you.”

“Oh please,” Mona said.

“The little squirt was askin’ anyone with half an ear to help her find the place. Hardly a fu – hardly a friggin’ puzzle.” He gestured at Tune with his apple, then took another bite.

They turned to look at her. She looked guiltily back and said, “we had to check the roof walk!”

“What do you want?” Mona said to Zak.

“A private word with the Mountain Dancer, if you please.”

“Shut it, Gummy Toes,” Shay said, smiling in spite of herself.

“Mountain, what?” asked Mona, looking back and forth between them.

“She dances as gracefully as a giant rock. It’s embarrassing. My toes are still healing,” said Zak.

“Crushing your toes was about the only thing that could get you to move. You’d think he’d have a little bit of agility, given all the time he spends scurrying after Flek.”

“Hey now, I prefer to call it a canter. Zakree got all the scurrying genes.”

“And all the looks.”

He winced, and clutched at his crystal, making an exaggerated face.

Mona said: “Oh, oh no. Drown me in Culdur, Shay.”

“What?”

Mona just shook her head.

“So, why don’t y’all beat it?” Zak said, crunching away.

“It’s okay Mona. Come by tomorrow and we’ll talk more.”

It took a little urging, but Mona eventually agreed to let them be alone. Shay thanked Ocklou again, who looked quite relieved to be on his way. She promised the twins that she’d stop being sad and come see them more often. Mona gave her one last strange, exasperated look before pulling the door shut.

Zak tossed his apple core over the edge and vaulted up to sit atop one of the merlons. Shay leaned against wall opposite and looked up at him.

“Nice friends. You guys always hang out up here?” he asked.

“I did. Do. Usually by myself.”

“Windy,” he observed.

“I like the wind. Don’t let it blow you off.”

“And make your day? Not a chance.” He leaned back a bit. “So. When did you decide to come back to life?”

“It’s on a trial basis. I don’t know… I don’t know if I really want to for real,” she said, more seriously than she had intended.

He nodded, and looked down at the spot on the ground in front of her feet. He stayed that way for a while; she just patiently watched the gusts mess his hair around.

“I got some of the inside scoop,” he said at last. “If you wanted to know that is.”

“Someone tipped Faevock off that Ella was going to betray her by taking a run at the Crown Anchor title, something that Ella had a decent chance of actually winning,” Shay said. “Ella denies it, or at lest convinces Fae that the rumor-starters are the real trouble. Ella thinks I did it, or that Rek did it. She’s obviously pissed and convinces Fae and company to ruin us both, starting with me.”