Chapter 19: Shaynike & Monarec

The meeting had gone on for most of the evening. Shay tried to take in as much as she could from Ellawek’s mindtether. She knew a fair amount about the Mountain Dance’s basics through exposure to Mona’s ramblings, but here, she started to pick up on the nuances.

For example, she learned that a significant amount of the so-called important stuff happened in the Muster Hall. This was often where all the pupils who were not Crowns had their best chances to interact and impress the recruiters, and where all aspects of the big show were hinted at and teased before the procession filtered up to the room above.

The Crown Guide often swapped places with the MC, or they hosted together. The Anchor would usually lead a political demonstration; the Academic a scientific one; and the Artyss would often be the primary subject of one or more of the wonderments.

Shay’s role as Songmaster was not only to ensure that there was a musically focused wonderment, but to make sure that something pleasant was always being played in the background, and that the acoustics of any kind of public address were perfect. The toughest piece was timing the background music to complement the multiple feasts.

She really had no idea how music and taste might coexist, but Ella insisted that she would learn in time. The fact that there were no less than ten separate feasts of varying social importance during the Dance was more than a little intimidating, but she kept those feelings to herself and just tried to observe as much as she could.

There were two other wrinkles to this particular Dance that they had to work around as well. Well, two rumours. First, Ella was pretty sure that Luminary Northridge of Tomecliff would be in attendance. It wasn’t that uncommon for a Luminary to be present, but it would kick everything up a notch in terms of how the pupils, advisors and tutors would and should behave. Second (and Ella was less certain about this), it was rumored that the Culdurian Chillcrafters were going to bring a Tether Stone to this years’s Dance, probably in order to impress Luminary Northridge.

The Tether Stones were smaller and usually less powerful than Communal Stones, but their size made them portable. If one were at the Dance, the wonderments, demonstrations and signals would all be hugely amplified. The topic sparked a lot of tense discussion between Ella and Affsol.

All in all, it was a lot to take in on her first meeting, so Shay had been glad when Ella cut it short. It had happened at just the right moment, too. She had been trying to follow along to how the meal courses needed to be laid out during the emotional “valleys” of the musical arrangement when a flood of lavender-cardamom chocolate came to her – the flavor she’d assigned to Rekness. It had broken her concentration, and mercifully, Ella had released them from the mindtether shortly after.

Sitting now in her room, with Monarec excitedly on her way, Shay thought back to the discussion.

“I have to go,” Ella had said, irritated, “apparently some new drama has pervaded our Crown Anchor’s life, courtesy of the troglodytic company she keeps.”

Now there’s a solid word, Shay had thought, eying the witch with a sliver of reluctant respect.

Affsol piped up. “Oh, who did the Flekface render-a now?” Then he had winced and looked quickly at Shay, probably remembering the whole apple thing.

“Probably the Headmentor himself. I can never understand...” Ella had shaken her head then and said, “you are all dismissed. We reconvene in a week’s time. Cliffland, I expect you to have done some research by then.”

Then she went through the waterway (refreshing), up the boreway, and back to her room. Hungry, she had infused some meaty bean paste with a variety of spices and vegetables, and brought some grapes and strawberries down as well. Presently, she wolfed down the meal and opened Rekness’ shard again: