Faded Memories

Maximus rushed out of the tavern to the river he remembered seeing earlier. His mouth was burning as if there were a burning building inside it. That meal was as hot as lava and spicier than the Carolina Reaper. It burned his tongue and taste buds to ash before he could even exit the tavern. He barged through the forest before reaching the lake which he nosedives into. He opened his mouth to let the river water flow into his dry mouth like a tsunami. The water did cool down his tongue... but at a cost. A deadly cost.

Harvey headed into the forest to find Maximus. It was getting dark so Harvey made his staff glow a bright purple, and Maximus spotted it. "Harvey!" Maximus cried out. Harvey turned and saw Maximus in the shadows. Maximus looked lost and afraid. Harvey ran up to her. "What happened to you? We were worried you got lost!" 

"I'm sorry," Maximus replied, a little embarrassed. "My tongue was burning like lava and I really needed to find some water to cool it down. And once I started drinking the water from the river nearby, for some reason, I couldn't stop myself from drinking more and more. That's why I spent so long here," 

"We called out for you, didn't you hear us?" Harvey asked with a nervous tone. "All I could think of was the sweet taste of the water, how cooling it was and how relieved I was. It was like my worries melted away in there. Pain is no longer a thing when you drink that stuff. It's so hydrating." Maximus explained. "After that, for a minute, I couldn't remember who I was or where I was."

Alice appeared out of nowhere. She heard Maximus' description of the stream he drank from and was terrified. She whimpered "What stream...?" 

"Follow me," Maximus said. He led the group of adventurers to the stream where he started out. It was very different from what he remembered. The water was no longer clean, instead, murky. The water no longer flowed downhill, it was rapidly colliding with rocks in its path. The river was violent and polluted. Alice stepped closer to analyse the river. She started flipping through her magic book, trying to find a page. She stopped, she found the page and gasped. Maximus tried to take another sip of the river but Alice stopped him. 

"WAIT! I found the page describing this stream" She shouted. "It's the river of reminiscence! It's very dangerous!"