The Next Day Chapter 12

Mr. Perry: What does a dream within a dream mean? Anyone?

Class: Silence.

Mr. Perry: Come on guys, this class is really getting dryer than my ex-wife.

Class (laughing):

Mr. Perry (putting both hands out): Where is Shonte? She usually answers all of my questions.

Jesus: Ain't it's like when...

(A knock on door)

Mr. Perry (pointing his finger): Hold that thought, Jesus.

Mr. Perry: Hi, can I help you, ma'am?

Yes, I'm looking for my daughter Kiara Davis, did she come to school today?

Mr. Perry: No ma'am, we have not seen Kiara in class today, since yesterday Mrs. Davis.

Mrs. Davis: Oh Jesus.

Mr. Perry: What happened ma'am?

Mrs. Davis: I went into her room this morning to ask her did she want any breakfast, I didn't see her, and I got worried, I looked all around the house for her, I was starting to think to myself that I shouldn't worry, she probably stepped out somewhere, or went to the store, I know my daughter, this is not like her to just leave the house without checking with me first, that's why I came here to see if she's here.

Mr. Perry: I am sorry ma'am, she is not here.

Mrs. Davis: This is not like Kiara to miss school, she loves school, she's a smart girl.

Mr. Perry: I know Mrs. Davis, she is a smart girl, and she has not missed any days in my class until now, I was thinking she had gotten sick.

Mrs. Davis: No, Kiara hasn't gotten sick for a while.

Mr. Perry (touches his forehead): Okay, aw geez, this makes sense.

Mrs. Davis (leans her head forward): What makes sense?

Mr. Perry: How odd and coincidental.

Mrs. Davis: What's odd and coincidental? Tell me? that's my daughter.

Mr. Perry: You have not been the only parent that is standing here asking me have I seen your child.

Mrs. Davis: What?

Mr. Perry: There was another parent here two days ago telling me that her son Quetip had gone missing, the story sounds a lot like your story.

Mrs. Davis (face down with sadness in her eyes): Oh my God.

Mr. Perry: These two stories could not be related, but I am just saying they sound a lot familiar, and the student's mom said she have not seen him that morning two ago either, and she was just as frantic as you are.

Mrs. Davis (eyes watering with tears, putting her hand on her chest): Oh God, where could my baby be?

Mr. Perry: I do not know ma'am, I am so sorry ma'am everything is going to be fine, but I informed the student's mother that if I see her son, I will let her know, I will do the best I can, and I will do the same thing for you, ma'am.

Mrs. Davis: Thank you.

Mr. Perry: You're welcome, I told his mother to wait 24 hours to contact the police department that day, the police should be on the search by now, and you can call to Mrs. Davis.

Mrs. Davis: Okay, Oh my God, Jesus, my baby.

Mr. Perry: Everything is going to be fine ma'am.

Mrs. Davis (frowns with tears): No, everything is not fine, that is my daughter out there and someone else's child out there too missing.

Mr. Perry: I know ma'am, but...

Jesus: What's going on out there? Who is that lady hollering at Mr. Perry?

Cheetoe: That's Shonte's mama.

Jesus: I wonder what she doing here?

Cheetoe (shaking his head with his hand on his beard): I don't know.

Mr. Perry (hands upward): Class listen up, it appears to seem like Shonte has gone missing as well as Quetip.

Class: What?

Mr. Perry (bobbing his hand): Hold on guys, do not get worried about this coincidence of them going missing.

Cheetoe (rubs his face with his hands): Aw man.

Jesus: What you think what happened to em?

Mr. Perry: I don't know, the police are out there searching for the both of them, do not stress yourself out guys, for the time being, I still want you all to focus on your education.