The Next Night At Cheetoe's house Chapter 19

(POW, POW, POW)

Cheetoe (jumps up swiftly in his bed): Ma, was that some gunshots we just heard?

Mama: Yeah it was.

Cheetoe (rubs his head): Awe man, I thought I was dreaming at first, that was an alarm there, it sounded like the gunshot was real close too.

Mama: It did sound close, I believe that happened on the next block cause I heard it from my room.

Cheetoe (hops up out of his bed): I thought it happened close in our alley cause it sounded just that close, you think about calling the law?

Mama: Naw, they be taking so long to get here when it’s shooting involved, we don't hear em no more, you get away from that window before they start shooting up in here.

Cheetoe: Okay ma. Well, somebody will probably call em, I'm quite sure we ain't the only ones that heard the shots.

Mama: Naw, other folks heard them too.

Cheetoe (shaking and eyes wide open): I got scared ma, I thought something bad was goin to happen to us.

Mama (leans against the door with her arms cross): You okay, that happened somewhere far away.

Cheetoe: I thought this was a quiet area? 

Mama: This neighborhood changed Cheetoe, things don't stay the same forever.

Cheetoe: What time is it?

Mama: After 6:00.

Cheetoe: They need to be in a bed.

Mama: Gangs don't sleep Cheetoe, they stay up all night, they don't be thinking about sleeping.

Cheetoe: I know ma, I'm just sayin, I wish all of this violence can stop, Quetip and Shonte's disappearance is changing my perspective now, I’m thinking that they disappearance probably has somethin to do with the gang.

Mama: Try not to worry about that Cheetoe, you are safe and keep praying for your friends, now go back to sleep.

Cheetoe: Okay ma.