Chapter 11

I closed my eyes, resigned to the fingers tightening around my neck. Stars bolted across the back of my eyelids, and my head began to spin. My lungs ached for air, and to Fear's delight, I felt the first tendrils of mortal terror. It didn't matter that I was a spirit as old as time. I was going to die.

Just as my consciousness began to fade, something collided with Fear. The shock of the hit loosened his grip on my throat, the blast knocking the void away from me. Cool air filled my lungs as I dropped to my knees. After a few seconds of coughing I scrambled to my feet, disoriented, looking for the one who had either assisted or missed me.

A familiar golden glow emanated from a pair of eyes, two orbs of honey staring back at me from the shadows. My heart skipped a beat. It couldn't be...no, it had to be a figment of my imagination.

"No! She was mine!" Fear roared, angered by the sudden interruption. The cavern trembled with his fury. He lunged towards the newcomer, claws extended. I found the strength to pull my bow from my back and with lightning speed shot an arrow towards him. To my dismay, the arrow hit its mark, yet passed between the frenzied eyes to clatter to the damp stone beyond.

"You..." Fear hissed, his darkened form whirling towards me. I had not noticed earlier, but the room had grown lighter, and warmer. Fire. There were fires blazing in the far corners of the cave. The flames were small, barely noticeable, but they made all the difference. The black form of Fear was visible in the bleak light, eliminating his element of surprise. It was still too dark to identify the honey-eyed newcomer. I backed away from the stalking figure in front of me, my heart pumping with adrenaline.

Fear leaped at me, the sharp tips of his claws aimed at my neck. I ducked underneath him, crying out as one of his talons found its way down my back. Inhaling sharply, I continued to roll to my feet behind him and nocked another arrow, releasing the string onto his nape, but the arrow simply passed through the void. A spike of dread shot through my body, and I stumbled backwards. I was useless against him. I felt droplets of blood trickle down my back, reminding me of my mortality. I could do nothing to stop him.

"Please, my dear, allow me." I heard behind me, and a shiver went up my spine at the sound of the voice. A long black scythe extended beside me, leveled against the looming figure of Fear, whose form had changed to that of a—

"Dragon..." I breathed. Memories of the attack at the Pole ran through my mind. Could this be the same dragon? No, Fear was not made of nightmare sand. The nightmare dragon had been a pawn, subject to the will of its creator. This dragon held no benevolence. This beast, this spirit lived for one thing: terror. And Fear would stop at nothing to instill terror in the minds of every child across the planet.

This new form was enough to give nightmares to even the bravest child. Blackened horns swept back from his head, sharply segmented, and cavernous bat-like wings swallowed up the lair. His talons were extended and sharp, clicking against the rock as he moved. Blood-red eyes glared out from his crested brow, a long forked tongue slithering between pointed teeth. His scales were so deeply black they absorbed any and all light, reminding me of nothing more than the vast expanse of space. I cringed as a piercing cry echoed around the cavern. His smoldering gaze fell upon us.

"How did you essscape?" Fear hissed, his voice taking on a reptilian twinge. His words were aimed towards the golden-eyed spirit beside me, his tongue flicking with agitation. He swung his tail towards us, an attack we swifty dodged. It slammed into the cave walls, the impact rattling the underground, causing stalactites to rain down upon us.

"You were right about night and fear going together. But, just as the Moon, you left out one little detail. It is not fear that controls the night. It is the night that commands fear in children. And mind control..." the figure clucked their tongue, "what a cute trick. It worked for you so far. But as soon as you left me, I remembered. Everything." With a low growl they swung the scythe in a low arc, striking just below the dragon's shoulder. The blade cut through the scales like paper, burying itself deep. Fear writhed, roaring with pain. One of his claws flew out, splintering the scythe in two. His side heaved as the blade protruded beneath his left forearm, weeping a strange black slime. With a savage snarl, he lunged, and without thinking I leapt in front of the figure before me.

I braced for impact, expecting his talons to shred through my wings, but the pain never came. Opening my eyes, I saw a huge shield of nightmare sand overhead, solid and sturdy. Fear released a shrill cry as his claws shattered against the impenetrable barrier. The golden-eyed spirit beside me created chains from nightmare sand, whipping them around Fear, immobilizing him despite the dragon's best efforts.

"How are you ssstopping me? Why can't I move?" Fear struggled, thrashing his tail and straining to bite the chains that locked him down. His head reared back and forth, and he released a blast of flames in our direction. Another figure moved beside us, orange eyes smiling. There was serenity, but also mischief, in those fiery orbs. A pale hand extended in front of us, halting the flame and curving it away from where we stood.

"Queen Halloween!" I cried, relieved that she as well had broken free of Fear's control.

"I will not be free for long, child. Escape while you can." Her voice sounded strained, through a smile of contentment that lingered upon her face.

"I won't leave you!" I responded forcefully. She quickly redirected another spout of flames, pain flickering across her collected features. I was determined to stay until the bitter end. I would not abandon them in their time of need. Not against an enemy as strong as Fear.

"Foolisssh ssspiritsss!" Fear hissed, his eyes glowing embers of rage. The void that made up his body twisted about, pulsing and straining against the restraints. "Your mindsss belong to me! Thisss isss imposssible!"

"Your mind control is strong, but in the heart lies the key. And there is only one person who commands my heart." The golden-eyed figure held up a glowing object, half shaped like the sun, the other like the moon.

"NO!" Fear shrieked as a bright light surrounded the cave, drowning out everything else. I heard Queen Halloween call, but her voice was drowned out by...was it neighing? There was a hand holding mine, cold and strong, pulling me away from the echoing sounds. I heard splashes of water and felt droplets splatter against my face as I ran past, unsure as to where I was headed. I blindly followed the grip that guided me, staring ahead at the glowing golden source of light. My pendant burned in my vision, hanging from the grasp of the figure who had saved my life.