Chapter 25

The conversation with Pitch quickly returned to my mind, after he had saved me from Fear's deadly grasp. I looked towards him, finding his gaze already upon me. He remembered. Tears began to prick the back of my eyes. With the Guardians around, it was easier to keep my thoughts from the woeful truth of his fading. Yet now, when his acceptance of such was the key to our situation, it was an impossible fact to avoid.

"We're fading...I guess I hadn't thought about it, but...I am afraid of fading. What will happen to the children's memories? And what about my faeries? Where will they go? What will they do without me?" Tooth gushed, fussing over the tooth faeries beside her. Jack moved to comfort her, holding her as her flitting wings failed.

"You can't have winter without Christmas, is not possible! It would be..." North trailed off, his face falling blank as he contemplated.

Bunny looked down at his paws, glaring through the transparency that so clearly predicted his fading. His ears lay back against his head as he silently faced the same fears that circled through everyone in the room.

Sandy stared down at the mural upon the floor, the circle of Guardians. The figures so carefully painted into the wood were beginning to chip and peel away, an ominous reminder of the time ticking away. Though coming to terms with our fading was vital to defeating Fear, it was an almost impossible task. How could we accept fading when it meant we'd be sacrificing the one thing we'd sworn to protect?

It pained me to see everyone so distraught. Pitch watched quietly, a sorrowful expression upon his features. I leaned against his shoulder, looking away from the dark brown hue of the floor showing through his robes.

We're not faded yet. Sandy slowly signed, catching the attention of everyone in the room. We're not giving up without a fight. We're not just the Guardians of Childhood, we are childhood itself. Without the wonder, hope, fun, dreams and memories we bring and protect, children would not grow up the same. We help to ensure the beauty of their youth and the fondness with which they can recall it, so they may pass those beliefs down to their children. We may be in risk of fading, but with Dawn present to provide the strength of faith, we can do anything. We must retaliate. For the sake of every child on earth.

Silence ensued the speech from Sandy, his message settling deep in all of our hearts. Tooth teared up again, moved by the power of Sandy's words.

"No, no more moping about. We've got to do something." Bunnymund said, turning to face the circle. A stern look of determination crossed his face, and he nodded towards Pitch. "Come, mate, tell us what you know."

Pitch startled, raising his hands defensively. "How do I explain how to lose your fear? You can't just teach something like that!"

"Then...tell us how you feel. What goes through your mind when you think of fading?" Tooth asked softly, turning from Jack's shoulder. She flitted closer, settling to the ground before him. Her lavender eyes widened as she looked expectantly towards him.

Pitch sighed, turning his face from her gaze. He waited a few moments before responding. "Without a purpose, I have no reason to exist. You all may be fading as well, but once Fear has been defeated, you will face that threat no longer. No matter the outcome, a lost soul such as myself cannot return. And so...my fading is inevitable. Why fear something you cannot change? I would rather dedicate my remaining days to helping Dawn, and...the children. I guess that is how I lost that particular fear."

He grimaced as he continued, as if the words put a terrible taste in his mouth. "And after all those years as the Boogeyman, I've learned a few things about fears. A child's fears often stem from their wild imaginations. They will always exist. But this does not mean all fears are bad. Especially as children, fear can protect them and keep them safe. Take, for example, a fear of falling that prevents them from playing too close to the cliffs. Such fears provide no energy. They are innate, necessary for survival. It is when he preys upon the fantastical fears of a child that he gains his power. The same applies to you. If Fear can prey off of your fear of fading, it means...it's illogical."

A little wooden duck flew past his head, wings circling lazily. North's creations peppered the air above us, from glowing paper jellyfish to puffing steam trains to pirate ships with billowing white sails. I stared up in wonder at them, allowing their beauty to wash over me. It was hard to picture a world without North's toys, with the fascination they never ceased to instill. Equally hard was picturing an Easter without eggs, lost teeth without shiny silver quarters, winters without snow days and snowball fights, and nights without happy dreams.

"So what you're saying is, we're not meant to fade?" Jack asked skeptically, leaning his chin upon his staff. "Y'know, if it's so illogical."

Pitch snorted, shaking his head. "I suppose it means the Moon expects you to succeed."

"Don't fear Fear. Hah! Is very funny," North chuckled, his confidence filling the room. "Simple enough."

"We will succeed. We have to!" Tooth chimed in, her wings supporting her once more.

For the children. Sandy signed, a broad smile breaking across his face.

"Why don't we give Fear a taste of his own medicine?" Jack said with a smirk.

With unprecedented determination, the Guardians steeled their minds against the threat of fading. Deep down, we all knew that without overcoming our fear, it was doomed to pass. Even my own hesitations began to trickle away with their words, reminded that we, as the protectors of the children, were all that could stand in Fear's way. We had taken an oath. Nothing, not even fear, could prevent us from standing strong in their defense.

"Send signal," North ordered, and his yetis rushed to prepare the beacon of auras he knew would bring Fear to our doorstep. "This ends today."