Chapter 17

Flooded with a tidal wave of emotion, my body trembled like a leaf in a hurricane. I had vanished. I could no longer see the joy dancing upon a child's features as the sun splashed against their face. I could no longer hear their hopeful wishes or their sweet, bubbly laughter. Never again would I see a child's dream shimmering golden against the night sky, nor the soft glow of the stars that I placed into the heavens myself.

Settling from the sea of emotions was intense regret. I never needed to be a Guardian. There was so much to appreciate as a spirit, as the keeper of wishes, as the sun. I saw the children everyday, heard their voices and shared in their laughter. I had watched them grow up and lose their faith, only to pass down our stories to their own wide-eyed, wonderful children.

Now it was too late. I had lost the very life that had given me so much joy. I felt the sting of tears prick the back of my eyes. I had lost Pitch, lost the Guardians. They lay below me, still alive, still breathing, still mourning my departure. Sandy had tried so hard to warn me. Pitch had caught and cradled my body as I fell. They cared so much. All of them did. And I never got to show a glimmer of thanks. I never got to say goodbye.

When the Moon spoke again, his voice was but a whisper.

"Do not be upset. You are not gone forever, Dawn. I brought your soul here, to the Twilight, to protect it. Had I left you in your body, you would have perished. I will return you to your body. Before I return you, however, I have a task."

I nodded my head slowly, relieved and somewhat shocked. I could return. I had another chance.

"You must discover your center. It is no menial task, but you must be quick. Your companions are fading. Only when you have found your center will you be able to help them restore faith to the children. Only then will you be able to unlock your true power, your true potential. Look to your friends for guidance."

I felt myself being lowered, descending through the clouds that felt like cotton. My vision faded to black as I was taken away, away from the soft golden light, away from the pale blue glow of the Moon.

"The answer is closer than you think."