Chapter 19

"A legend?" I asked, pursing my lips.

North gasped dramatically, spreading his arms wide. "Of course! Why didn't I think of legend?" He rounded on Pitch suddenly, pointing accusingly. "Wait. How do you know of legend?"

"What legend?" I asked again, a little more urgently. In all my years, I had never heard of any such thing, not even from Sandy. I leaned down to question him, but the little golden man just shook his head. Was it exclusively for those hand-picked by the Moon?

"It was many moons ago, when Guardians were first created. Mural was on wall in Warren." North sighed, his shoulders falling.

"We assumed it was Jack." Tooth chimed in, her gaze flicking between me and the second newest Guardian.

"We did, against my better judgement. 'Twas very cryptic, might I add. It showed us a spirit coming an' joining the Guardians, who we'd help in a dire time of need. Said that spirit would restore faith to the children, when all hope was lost." Bunny explained, casting an annoyed glance toward Jack. The mischievous spirit only shrugged, stuffing his hands into his hoodie pocket.

"I almost kinda fit the description," the spirit of fun said with a smirk, "I did get them out of a tight spot—especially Bunny. You should have seen him!"

"Don't you dare bring that up!" Bunnymund growled, raising higher on his hackles. If looks could kill, the winter spirit would be double-dead.

Eager to avoid another confrontation between the two warring Guardians, I swiftly re-captured his attention. "Hold on, Bunny. You said Jack restored faith when the children had lost their belief, when all hope was lost. Why Jack? Why couldn't you? What happens when the children...stop believing?"

The question gave them all pause, nobody particularly eager to offer an explanation. It meant acknowledging their greatest weakness, and reliving a darker time in their lives. Tooth looked warily at Pitch, who kept his gaze lowered to the floor. The tooth fairies at her shoulder chittered as they watched us.

"Well, Jack was the only one with any of his powers left. The rest of us..." Tooth looked around at the others for assistance.

"I lost all strength." North supplied, with a heavy sigh, "I could barely lift sword off ground." He drew a blade from his hip, leaning over it like a frail grandfather. "Like walking cane," he added with a chuckle, attempting to infuse some humor into the dark topic.

"I grew weak, and lost my ability to fly," Tooth offered with a grim smile.

"At that point, Sandy had been..." Jack caught the words in his mouth, clenching his jaw. He looked down in sympathy at the pale face of Sandman. "We lost Sandy to Pitch."

Pitch at least had the good graces to look guilty when I stole a glance.

The rest of the Guardians stared at Bunnymund expectantly, who had his arms crossed tightly. His nose twitched in agitation, his huge foot tapping up and down rapidly. "I'm not gonna tell her."

"If you don't, then I will. At least, my version of it." Jack replied smugly, and Bunny's ears lay flat. He simmered silently for a moment before turning to face me with an aggravated frown.

"I become a 'normal' bunny, alright?" He growled, turning away and mumbling under his breath.

I rolled my eyes at the Easter Bunny's melodrama, yet there was something off about their explanation, a piece that was missing. "I'm confused then."

"How is that confusing?" Jack asked, stepping closer. He cocked his head to the side. Even Bunny's ears perked up as he turned halfway back toward us. I stared up at the dark outline of the globe.

"There are no lights left, correct? There...isn't a single child left on earth who believes in us." My suspicion solidified as I spoke, pacing back and forth between their confused expressions. "Even the Moon warned us. We are fading, should be fading, and yet...none of you have lost your powers."

The Guardians looked at each other, eyes wide. Realization flooded their faces as they stumbled over awed words. I was surprised I hadn't come upon it sooner as well. We had been so focused on battling Fear, we had been oblivious to the mystery of our remaining strength. I knew what my next step had to be.

"Take me to see the legend," I requested, "I have to see this for myself."