Chapter 14

Placing our faith in Fear's word, we made for North's workshop. It was as good a place as any to start our search. My heart pounded as the snowy landscape loomed into view, my mind silently wishing upon every star in the sky that they were there, and they were safe. The icy bite of the north wind snapped at my ears; massive snowflakes clung to strands of curly hair and weighed down the feathers of my wings. I took no notice of the freezing cold, my veins flooded with the intense heat of anxiety.

The balcony was as empty and snow-dusted as always. Nothing appeared to be amiss. I shot Pitch an worried glance, my stiff fingers gripping the wooden door handle. Expressionless, he merely nodded.

I pushed the door open slowly, hearing the creak of the hinges rattle through the hallways. Nothing stirred within the walls, and silence ensued. Taking a deep breath, I stepped across the threshold, allowing my feet to drag me towards the globe room. Pitch wordlessly followed.

Rounding the corner, my doubts and fears were instantly assuaged.

"Dawn!" I heard a shrill voice cry, and found myself wrapped in Tooth's bright feathery hug. Relief poured through my body as I saw four more Guardians standing before me. Remnants of tension laced their movements, set on edge by my sudden and unannounced appearance.

"Don't scare us like that, mate," Bunny griped, stowing a boomerang behind his back. Tooth released me from her vice-like hug, lavender eyes gleaming.

Tears began to pour down my cheeks, startling even myself with their appearance. I attempted to brush them away but they continued to run freely, reminding me of just how scared I had been at their loss. Sandy stepped up to my side, squeezing my hand comfortingly.

"How did you escape?" I asked around the tightness in my chest.

"We didn't so much "escape" as wake up here," Jack commented with a grimace.

"How long have you been...'awake?'"

"Not long. We were just discussing plan to rescue you," North chimed in. There were heavy dark circles underneath his eyes. Whatever rest they had been in must not have been a pleasant one.

"How did you escape?" Tooth asked, scrutinizing the bandage that peeked out from beneath my jacket.

"I, uh..." I raised a hand to the back of my head, only just noticing my hair had been washed of any blood."I almost didn't. But I had help," I continued swiftly before my words could sink in properly, "I...had help from someone you'd least expect."

Bunny eyed me warily as one of his ears flicked. "Well, who was it that helped ya?"

I could sense Pitch's apprehension from the hall behind me, could feel my own doubts bubbling up and stealing away my voice. The threat of Fear was stronger than my reservations, however, and I managed to speak up.

"I've come to ask a favor," I began slowly, carefully picking my words. North's eyebrows shot upwards. "We need help defeating Fear. And..." I paused, clenching my jaw. Facing five equally confused and suspicious faces was much harder than I had anticipated. "I know someone who could help us."

Pitch hesitantly emerged from the shadows, standing slightly behind me as if I could somehow protect him from the piercing eyes that scrutinized his presence.

"No. No no no. I knew it. You've gone mad. He can't help us." Bunnymund paced back and forth, his ears twitching in agitation.

"I agree with Bunny. Is bad plan. How do we know he can be trusted?" North agreed, rubbing his beard and resting a hand on the pommel of a sword.

"I know how this appears, but you have to trust me," I pleaded, heart falling as Sandy took several steps back from me, shaking his head in disbelief. I turned to Tooth, but she timidly drew away, wings fluttering faster than usual.

"What if Fear overtakes him again? He could attack us while our guard is down. Sorry Dawn, I...I just don't think it's a good idea." Tooth responded quietly, giving Pitch a nervous glance. She wrung her hands in front of her anxiously. The wind howled outside, a blizzard blanketing the world in an overpowering white. Jack swung his staff agitatedly, striking loudly against the floor and scattering ice at our feet.

"What if this is all a plan to trick us? Infiltrate and weaken us from the inside? Haven't you already tried that, Pitch? I'm not so easily convinced you've changed." He perched upon his staff, shooting a glare that made even Pitch shrink. I turned to Sandy, my fingers trembling.

Sandy shook his head again, a hard expression stealing across his gentle features. You weren't there, Dawn, one year ago. I refuse to accept him.

This was not how it was supposed to go. Why couldn't they see what I saw? Why wouldn't they trust...a sad realization settled in the back of my mind. I looked between their guarded faces. Who was I to tell them right from wrong, with nothing to back up my words? They were right...they had no reason to trust him. And, moreover, no reason to trust me.

Pitch stood behind us, remaining strangely calm and quiet. I could feel the sharp sting of the Guardian's words, and could only imagine how he must have felt. I had to try, if only one last time. For his sake. For the sake of defeating Fear.

"I know you have no reason to trust us, I...I don't deny that. But he can help us. I know he can. He rescued me from Fear, that has to mean...has to mean something."

Silence met my words. Their positions were clear. I nodded mutely, everything going numb. A staticky feeling welled up from the back of my mind, quickly overrunning the rest of my senses. Panic reignited deep in my soul. I knew this feeling.

"No," I breathed, my legs vaulting me into the air.

Adrenaline. And with this mind-numbing adrenaline, came Fear.