Chapter 16

The clouds were painted honey yellow, scarlet undertones fading to white. My body felt weightless as I stood upon the strangely sturdy vapor below me. The golden glow stretched forever, not a break in the gentle light. No stars shone, no birds sang, there was nothing but quiet, peaceful emptiness.

I could not fathom where I was, and yet no sense of panic gripped my mind. I felt oddly at ease, a soft breeze stirring my hair. Rays of sunlight kissed my skin, warming my soul. I watched the clouds lazily drifted by, wondering what had taken place. Where had I come from? Who was I? Dawn...that was my name.

A faint blue glow emanated from the amber landscape, and as I looked up, I could see the Moon. He was giant, blanketing the sky above me. As he grew near I found his presence was soothing, his azure aura calming. The Moon's words began as a whisper against my ear.

"Dawn. Do you know why you are here?"

I was speechless, possessing no voice in this strange ethereal plane. I shook my head slowly, a slight twinge of worry bubbling up inside of me. Recollection tingled at the back of my brain. Pitch, and...Sandy. The Guardians. I had been protecting them. But...from what again? I could recall only the absence of light.

"Your powers are strong, and your task vital to keeping belief alive in the children. But your power has limits. You draw your energy from your very essence, your very soul." A small hole in the clouds opened up before me, darkness pouring up into the golden light like reversed sunbeams. I peered down to see Sandy holding my hands, my pendant clasped between our fingers. My body rested against Pitch as he cradled my head, his expression wracked with sorrow. North kneeled beside Sandy, clinging tightly to his swords, knuckles white. Shining droplets streaked his snowy beard. Tooth had settled into the floor nearby, tears streaming down her face. Jack and Bunnymund were nowhere to be found. With a sharp pain, I remembered. Burned in my memory was the face of Fear, the one who had pushed me so far. I tore my gaze from the image below, fearfully looking to the Moon for explanation.

"You were destroyed in your fervor. Your very soul was consumed by your power."

I clasped a hand over my mouth in horror. A soundless sob escaped me as I sank to my knees, staring down at my lifeless body. I could see a golden thread connecting each of the spirits below, the continued faith of the children. Twining between each Guardian, it had begun to fade. Severed from its loop lay none other than myself, the thread around me darkening to a dull gray. From the broken ends the ashen color spread, until it was as dark as the adversary who plagued us. The Moon's words sank in, a pit in my stomach so deep it could never see the light of day.

In my attempt to protect the Guardians, I had diminished my own soul.

I was gone.