Chapter 6

I trudged back to my room, stuffed all my things into a bag, grabbed my bassoon, and walked out the door. I looked around for something, anything, to take me away from this place. When I didn't find anything but Beel's unlocked car, I stuff all my stuff into the front seat, then hop in. I smirked when I saw the keys sitting in the engine thingy. Oh, I'm sorry, the ignition lock holder.

I crank the key, and the engine sputters to life. Let's hope those years of mowing the lawn pays off. I thought as I backed out of the driveway. I drove as far away as I could, avoiding the cops where I could. When I was in the middle of New York, I parked the car in an alley and got out with my stuff. I walked until I got to Times Square, and what I had done hit me.

I was a fugitive, I had no money, I had no home, I had no bloody idea what to do. Figuring the first thing I needed was money, I set up my bassoon, slid the seat strap into my belt loop to support the 7.5-pound instrument, and had my case open for tips. I had the notes for Jurassic Park seared into my mind, so I started to play. A few people stopped to listen, even tossing money into my case. When I had played for 2 hours, and my arms burned, I took off the boot cuff and leaned my bassoon against the wall, the bocal facing away from the wall, and turned my case around.

I had $27.36 collected, and I stuffed it all into my back pocket. I put my bassoon back in its case and moved spots. Setting up again after my arms felt better, I continued playing Jurassic Park for others. By nightfall, I had collected a little over $50, but that wasn't enough for a hotel room in New York. I found a random, unoccupied alley, and set my case on the ground.

Hunger was gnawing at my stomach, and it was freezing, but I stuck it out. I slept on top of my bassoon case, using a blanket I had stolen and my duffel as a pillow. My body ached when I woke up, and I packed it up and moved spots. I did the same thing I did yesterday in different spots. One person tossed in a chip bag and 2 candy bars instead of some money.

Some people were curious about why a 12-year-old was playing bassoon on a street corner, but they never asked.