Chapter 20

We pulled up in front of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s New York headquarters, and went inside, leaving my stuff in the trunk. We were greeted by a woman with brown hair in a bun. "Maria Hill," Natasha greeted. "Agent Romanoff. Who's this?" She asked, pointing to me. "This is Ellie Scotch. She assisted us during the Chitauri Invasion. She's an Avenger," Natasha said.

"Director Fury will be wanting to meet her, then," Hill said. "That's what we were hoping," Clint said. "Fury's currently in a meeting with the council. I will call him when he's done. You can wait over there in the meantime," Hill said, pointing to a small cluster of couches in the corner. We wandered over, sitting down. I pulled my mom's dog tags out of my shirt, fiddling with them.

"What are those?" Clint asked. "They're my mom's dog tags," I said, looking at the writing on them. "Why were you living in that dumpster?" Natasha asked. "My dad got killed in a lab explosion," I said shortly. "And your mother?" She asked.

"Brain cancer when I was 8," I said. "I'm sorry," Clint said. "It's okay. I've had plenty of time to get over it," I said, tucking the tags away. "Director Fury, there is someone in the lobby waiting for you," I perked up as I heard Maria Hill talking into an earpiece. "Director Fury's coming," I said.

 "How do you know that?" Natasha asked. "I heard Ms. Hill talking about it," I said. "That's impossible. No one can hear that far away," Clint said. "Unless..." Natasha said. "Unless what?" I asked.

"Unless one of the things the snake did to you was heightening your senses," Natasha said. "It's possible. I have no idea what that snake did to me," I admitted. "Snake? What snake?" Clint asked. "Shortly before the explosion, I was bitten by a radioactive King Cobra. It should've killed me. But, I didn't get out of there in one piece," I said, lifting my pant leg to reveal my prosthetic. I heard footsteps and looked behind me to see a man with a long coat and an eyepatch walking towards us.

"Seems like I won't be able to sneak up on you. I'm Director Nick Fury," He said, holding out his hand as we stood up. "I'm Ellie Scotch," I said, shaking his hand. "Now, Agent Barton, Agent Romanoff, why is she here?" Fury asked, turning to Clint and Natasha. "She assisted us during the Chitauri invasion. She earned her spot on the team," Natasha said. "And who made that call?" Fury asked.

 "Steve Rogers," Clint said. "I can't argue with that. So, what can you do, kid?" Fury said, turning back to me. "I don't know. My senses are heightened, I can turn invisible, and I'm a decent shot with a gun," I said. "Can we speak to you, in private?" Natasha asked, and they went far enough away for me not to be able to hear them. I pulled my mom's jacket a little closer, put in an earbud, and started listening to the music on the walkman.

I heard them approaching a while later, and turned off the music. "Come on. I've got somewhere to show you," Fury said, waving me over. I got up, tucked my earbud away, and followed Fury to a laboratory. "This is Dr. Lied. He's going to run a few tests to figure out your abilities," He said, gesturing to a doctor with a clipboard. "It's nice to meet you, Dr. Lied," I said, shaking his hand.

 "The pleasure is mine. Please, sit here," He said, leading me over to a hospital bed as Fury left. "I'm going to take a few samples, and run a standard health check," He said, preparing a needle. I grit my teeth as he stuck the needle in my arm, drawing out some blood. He also took a saliva swab and a thumbprint. Then he pulled out the tools every doctor has.

"Alright, follow the light with your eyes," He said, and I followed the beam as it moved around. "Okay," He mumbled, writing something down. He did the other generic things, like checking my ears, heartbeat, and breathing. "I'm going to go run some tests. I'll be back shortly," He said, and left, taking the samples with him. I stared out of the glass wall in the laboratory, observing the people as they went about their day.

After a long time, Dr. Lied came back. "You seem to have heightened senses, enhanced durability, lung capacity, flexibility, speed, strength, and stealth, a venomous bite from enlarged fangs, invisibility, and the ability to secrete various liquids from your wrists," Lied said. I stared at him, with a confused look on my face. "You're venomous, stronger, faster, stealthier, more flexible, and you shoot harmful liquids from your wrists," He simplified, and I nodded. Director Fury came back in and Lied repeated what he told me.

"Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D. Your training starts tomorrow,"

a/n There is now a list of Ellie's abilities! If you're confused about any of them, ask and I will clear them up. Also, I have started a wiki for all of my Unsung Heroes! It will be built up over time. The link will be in my bio.