Chapter 12

Unluckily for the woman and whoever she was talking to, I heard everything and decided to move before she could find me. I found a new spot, and by nightfall, I had collected a large amount in tips. I shoved all the money into my breast pocket when I felt my fingers hit cool metal. I grabbed it and pulled it out to reveal dog tags. Scotch, Peyton Caroline. 57-602-192. 57th Infantry Regiment. Army. It read.

These are my mom's dog tags. I thought. I slid the ball chain over my neck, tucking the tags under my shirt. Over the next several weeks, I would find small packages outside my dumpster when I got back from school. I could always hear footsteps rounding the corner at the end of the street. The packages often had non-perishable food, clothes, or toiletries.

I knew it was the woman from before, but I didn't confront her about it. Instead, I let her think that I knew nothing about her orders. "Hey, Ellie!" Olive said, running over. It was the beginning of the school day. "Hey, Olive," I said, shuffling my feet.

 I had received another package that morning that they didn't know about. Olive knew nothing about my current living situation. They thought I was still living with Mr. Beel, whose house I could walk to from school. I planned to keep it away. I didn't want her worrying about me.

I could take care of myself. I went down to the band room and put my bassoon away in its cubby, then headed down to homeroom with Olive. Today was basketball tryouts, and I was planning to attend. I had left a note for the woman, saying to put the package in the dumpster and close the lid. After a long, tedious day, I headed down to the gym when car riders were released.

Changing into my gym uniform, I waited with the others for the coaches to show up. Eyes still lingered on my prosthetic leg, but I had gotten used to it by now. "Alright! Line up, all of you! Boys on the left, girls on the right!" The coaches said, and I went to the correct side. They looked at each of us up and down, their eyes lingering on my leg. "Are you sure about this, Scotch?" The coach asked, and I nodded.

"Line up, shortest to tallest. We will be calling each of you out to show us what you've got, then you will move to the locker room to wait for the announcement of who's on the team this year," The coach said, and I went towards the back. I was one of the taller kids at my school, and I towered over little Olive. After what seemed like ages, I was up. Someone was acting as an opponent, and I got the ball first. They moved to steal it, but I blocked it with my arm, ran up to the court, and sent the ball flying.

 It soared through the net, barely touching it. "Alright, Scotch," The coach said, jamming their thumb towards the girl's locker room. I went in, grabbing a seat a little way away from the others. Since my leg was starting to pinch again, I pulled it off and set it in my lap. The other girls stared at the stump of a leg I had remaining.

The coach started approaching, and I put the leg back on. "The members of the team in this order are Zach Kimmers, Ellie Scotch..." I zoned out after that, in shock. I had gotten on the team. I was certain that I wouldn't have, because of my leg. After the coach left, the others congratulated me.

Still shocked, I went home to find another surprise waiting for me. Inside my dumpster, was a Benelli SuperNova rifle.