Distractions

The cool, crisp, fall air swept through the dark streets as another day was drawing close to its end. The feeling of fall made everything feel all the more lonely to Josh "Schmitty" Schmitstinstein. Relaxing on his brown couch, he paid no mind to the fact that another week was spent inside his house. Watching another news broadcast go off the air, he let out a sigh before shutting the tv off. Another day had passed and still no news about popular game show host, and Schmitty's friend, Cookie Masterson. Cookie went missing without a trace last week. He didn't say where he went, there was no footage on the security cameras, nothing. Cookie's cats, Poopsie and Mayonnaise, got placed in his care from the police. He still has no clue why, but he honestly didn't mind, they stayed out his way and he stayed out theirs. 'Wait a minute' he thought to himself, 'I forgot to feed the cats dinner!'

Getting up from the couch, he got up and walked into the adjacent room to find the cats sitting by the food bowls, staring at the black haired man. Schmitty gave a small smile to the cats before walking over to the food pantry. Opening the door, he grabbed a box of cat treats and shook it around, which led the cats to meow in excitement. He poured food into both of their food bowls. Poopsie and Mayonnaise let out another mewl in happiness before munching down on their food. 'I wish I could be like those cats' Schmitty thought. 'Have no care in the world, as long as I'll be okay. Cookie, where are you' A knock at the door took him out of his thoughts. Pulling out his cellphone, he opened his doorbell camera app to see who was there. It was a rather unkempt man wearing a red tux with a not so well hidden knife sticking out of his pocket, and a petite woman, wearing a blue sweater and carrying a large messenger bag.

"Yo Schmitty, are you here? I'm not gonna try and kill you again, I promise." The male said. Normally, a person would be scared by the stranger; however Schmitty wasn't. Shaking his head, he grabbed the water bowls and placed them on the counter to fill up when he came back. Walking out the kitchen into a narrow hallway by the living room, he opened the door to find the infamous serial killer, [Redacted], and the library owner turned Dictionarium hostess, Dixie, staring at him. The three knew each other because they all worked at Jackbox games. The same place Cookie worked at, before he got moved to Binjpipe corp., a streaming service that used to be a subsection of Jackbox, however a large spat broke the two companies apart. Ironically enough, Schmitty was decently close with [Redacted]. Even though the guy was obviously unhinged, they still got along well. Hell, they even went drinking together sometimes. As for Dixie, she was like a little sister to him. She always helped him and he always helped her. She rarely visited, which was a shame, but always liked her company whenever she was around.

"You two can go sit on my couch, I'll meet you there." Letting the two in, he locked the door behind them and went into the kitchen. Picking up the bowls, he walked over to the sink and filled the bowls with water. Putting them back down on the ground, he went back out to find the two guests relaxing on his couch.

"What do you two want?" Schmitty muttered, taking a seat next to them. "We wanted to give you something, for condolences!" Dixie handed him some white lilies.

"We dug them out of someone's backyard." [Redacted] joked. Dixie looked at him before rolling her eyes laughing.

"No we didn't. Don't listen to him." The woman laughed out. Schmitty looked at the flowers before feeling a tear roll down his cheek. Dixie noticed and gave him a hug, causing him to fall back on the couch and made him cry even more. He felt less lonely, he felt like people cared. He didn't feel as alone. But that let more worried thoughts about Cookie creep in. How does he feel? Is he okay? Is he alive? Sobbing, he felt a hand pat his hair awkwardly. Looking up, he saw the killer eyeing him.

"Look, I'm not any good at comforting others okay. But I am sorry about Cookie.If you need anything, we're here." He told the brunette. Smiling through his tears, he wiped the water from his eyes before saying the one and only request that came to his mind.

"Can you guys spend the night? Just so I don't feel as lonely with Cookie being gone." Schmitty asked.

"Of course! As long as you have room for us." Dixie squealed.

"I really don't have any other plans, plus I doubt the cops will look for me here, so sure." The killer told the host. Schmitty smiled.

"Thank you," he began. "Thank you two so much." Schmitty mumbled. Leading the two upstairs, he showed them to his bedroom. It had another small couch with a chair and a bed. It also held a shelf with books and a tv with various game consoles by it. "I'll get the bed and you two can have whatever you want." Schmitty told them.

"Dixie, you can take the couch, I'll get the chair." The killer told the woman.

Dixie looked at the black haired male before asking, "Are you sure?" The killer nodded, before sitting on the blue rug Schmitty kept in his room.

"Knock yourself out." Schmitty turned on the tv in his room and a familiar logo graced its way across the television screen.

"Binjpipe," an almost soothing robotic voice began, "no need to be suspicious, seriously."

"Can we change the channel?" [Redacted] groaned from his spot on the floor.

"You don't like Binjpipe either?" Schmitty questioned, confused.

"Uh, yeah. They freak me out with their magic, mind-freak like methods." [Redacted] mumbled.

"DODE does the same thing." Dixie brought up, as she got up and grabbed a small blanket from Schmitty's bed.

"Well, yeah. But at least DODE has half a mind to not pry into my personal business." [Redacted] mumbled, glaring at the floor. Schmitty stared at the Trivia Murder Party host with even more bewilderment.

"But she tried to get a greenlight for Trivia Murder Party 2." The Quiplash host said.

"Keyword being tried. I came up to the Jackbox CEO's and asked. Binjpipe did things to force me to continue the show." [Redacted] started to rub at a scar on his arm before quietly adding, "things I wasn't comfortable with."

"[Redacted], do you want to talk about anything that happened?" Schmitty asked, joining his friend on the floor. The killer looked over at the male before shaking his head.

Not now, but the moral of the story is if I'm a monster, then she's the devil." Dixie got off the couch and took a seat next to the killer.

"Don't let Binjpipe worry you. She can't get to you now that we're here." Dixie smiled, as she grabbed his hand. [Redacted] looked like he wanted to say something but he stopped himself. She gave the killer a smile before lightly pulling her hand away.

"I'm going to head to bed." Dixie told the two.

"Have a good night." Schmitty told the girl.

"Don't let the serial killers bite." [Redacted] told the brunette. The book holder gave a small laugh as she crawled back onto the sofa and curled into the blue blankets. [Redacted] took that as an opportunity to hop up on the bed with the Quiplash host.

"So, you and Dixie." Schmitty gave a wink at the killer.

"I am going to stab you." [Redacted] muttered, rolling his eyes. Schmitty gave a small laugh. "Fine, fine. I'll be the best man though, right."

"No, that spot is saved for Mayonnaise." [Redacted] chuckled. Schmitty laughed quietly.

"Which one?" The black haired male asked.

"Does it matter?" [Redacted] joked. Schmitty rolled his eyes before flipping over, and curled up on the bed, getting ready to get some sleep

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh Cookie." A soft voice cooed. The ginger felt his eyes blink open. He saw a familiar boss and someone new staring at him. A bright light flashed into his eyes which caused them to close again. "Today's the big day." The AI smiled. The ginger felt a tear roll down his cheek.