Chapter 27: A Generation Begins

Three Years Later

Rose Weasley had gotten used to the students knocking on her door, seeking help with homework they did not understand. She was used to that familiar lurch of excitement when she helped a student succeeded. She was used to the pieces of parchment and quills that littered her desk and somehow managed to clutter her classroom floor. She was used to the ink splots and accidental shots of magic that left burn marks on the desk. She'd even managed to get used to being called Professor Weasley; that is until she became Professor Malfoy just five months ago. Now when students shouted Professor Malfoy it took her a few moments to realize they were addressing her. It was an adjustment, one she was perfectly happy getting used to.

She tapped her fingers against her desk, silently observing the first-year Slytherins and Hufflepuffs as they eagerly practiced the Lumos charm. Silvery light flickered all around the classroom. Kids giggled as they succeeded and groaned when they failed to complete the task. Normally she'd be strolling around her classroom, correcting forms and assisting students, but today Rose's head felt like it held the weight of the world and her mind was fuzzy from exhaustion. She wanted nothing more than to curl up in a ball and take a luxurious nap, but she refused. There was still so much left to do. Classes were almost done and she promised Al she'd stop by the hospital on her way home. After that, she needed to cook dinner and grade essays from her fifth-years. No matter how much she wanted to put it all on hold, she knew it wasn't possible.

Forcing herself out of the comfortable chair, Rose walked around the room, moving slower than usual. She demonstrated the proper wand movement to a group of Hufflepuffs and watched satisfied as they copied her actions perfectly. She left them and wandered over to a small Slytherin whose wand lit up the devilish features of his face. Rose patted his shoulder, grinning proudly at him. She continued doing this until she managed to check-in on all of her students. The bell sounded. She dismissed them with a simple assignment to keep practicing the charm. Rose leaned against her desk, waving at the few students who bid her a polite goodbye. She stayed there for a moment, letting the sweet relief of peace sink in. One thing down. Only a few more to go.

Rose waved her wand tidying up the room and headed for the fireplace in her office. The only place she wanted to be was home in Scorpius' arms, but a promise was a promise. The green flames descended upon her, as she stepped into the fire and shouted, "St Mungo's!"

***

Rose drummed her fingers on the receptionist's desk, as she waited impatiently for him to find out what floor her cousin was currently working on. Countless of other witches and wizards, faced with medical emergencies, took refuge in the creaky wooden chairs behind her. One wizard had his entire arm engulfed in an odd plant she'd never seen before. It looked harmless enough. A purple flower with golden leaves. The only thing ruining its image was the arm being sucked into its midst. A witch had blue bubbling warts piling up all over her face. They popped and squirted out a blue liquid that dripped down her face, creating more warts in its path. Another flashed a flickering light out of her mouth every time she opened it. A few even cried out in pain, but the receptionist paid no mind to them, repeatedly telling anyone who complained, that their conditions were not life-threatening and could wait for treatment.

After Ara finally convinced him to pursue his dream of becoming a healer, he took a position at St Mungo's. For the first year, he was so busy running around that they stopped doing their annual lunches. Rose was hurt at first. She missed her best mate terribly, but she understood. She was so incredibly proud of him for following his dreams.

Once he got more settled into his job, his schedule settled down. They still didn't get to have their lunches as often as she liked. She'd come to accept it. Life changed. People grew up and paved different paths of life. She couldn't exactly dig her feet in and refuse it. It was best to open her arms and embrace the change straight on.