01 - Poe Dameron

~ Poe's POV ~

"I hate your car."

"Poe, shut the hell up and stop complaining," my best friend Jess sighs as she hops into the driver's seat, "You're gonna be riding in this car for the next 10 months. Get used to it. Besides, I'm your friend, and you know what friends do? They drive around their friends who can't afford a car, just like how I'm driving us to school right now."

She smirks and starts the car.

"But your car smells like fucking McDonalds twenty-four-seven and you know how much I hate McDonalds," I whine, "Wendy's is one thousand percent better and you can't argue with that!"

"Would you rather it smell like armpits and dirty socks?"

"No-"

"Then stop complaining," Jess rolls her eyes and turns on the radio.

The quiet tunes fill the car as I look out the window.

Jess does everything with me these days. My mom died when I was young and my dad became an addict not too long after that. Jess' family took care of me for most of my life, and Jess and I became closer than I'd ever expect us to. When I turned eighteen, I moved out of my house and into a small apartment a couple blocks away so I wouldn't have to be with my dad anymore.. Jess moved in over the summer to take care of me and keep me company. Her parents helped pay the bills and stuff, since I can't afford shit, and they come over to visit every weekend. I really liked Jess' family, as I never really had one of my own. Unless you count a dead woman, her addict husband, and their useless son as a family.

Anyways, today Jess and I start our final year at Mandalore District High School. I'm not prepared in the slightest, but I have to make the most out of this last year with Jess. I have to get into college, figure out what I want to study, and most importantly, pass my finals.

"What class do you have first?" Jess breaks the silence. I open my phone and pull up my schedule for the year.

Galactic Astronomy w/ Prof. Solo -- Room 980

"Galactic Astronomy," I turn to face Jess, "With Professor Solo?"

"Oh, that's rough," she chuckles softly, "I think he's a new teacher this year. He sounds like a pretty cool guy but I heard his son is, like, some whiny-ass emo dude."

Fantastic.

"Rey and I have History of the Rebellion with Professor Skywalker," Jess grins, hiding the blush that's creeping across her face.

If it wasn't obvious, Jess may or may not have a tiny crush on our friend Rey.

I can't really blame her though, but Rey's just not my type. To say the least, I can't convince Jess to spill her feelings, but I'm not a relationship expert.

I've never been in a relationship. Not that anyone loves me anyway.

And no one knows that I'm gay.

I've been meaning to come out to Jess for a while, but I want to make it a memorable moment, not just like "oh yeah, I'm gay" sorta thing.

That would be kinda stupid.

"Hey, speaking of Rey," Jess speaks up, breaking the silence once more, "Can you text her and tell her that she better have her ass at the end of her driveway in five minutes so we're not late?"

"Yeah, sure."

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––