Chapter 17

"Gina!" Zarinna called out, "Wait for me!" She panted, taking long steps as she endeavored to catch up with her friend

"You alright?" She heard Gina ask, a smile upon her lips.

"Yeah," She breathed, "How are you able to walk that fast uphill?" Zarinna scattered her gaze. Unlike the grassy grounds of their Camp, they were now trekking rocky paths, deeper into the woods with each step. The hiking she dreaded came sooner than she expected, and being left with no choice, Zarinna literally had to pull herself to action in order to take the first step.

"Huh, fast?"Gina raised a brow, "Not fast, Rinna. You're just slow." Zarinna scratched the top of her head sheepishly, "Come on in here then, let's take a seat for a while." Gina motioned towards Zarinna as she took a seat on the side of the path.

"Thank you," Zarinna couldn't help but feel thankful for the lady beside her. For a moment back in the camp, she thought she'd be walking around the woods with Mylene. She'd never felt so uneasy. Thankfully, Ma'am Mel offered to switch partners and she was then paired up with Gina. How much worse would she have been scolded had Mylene been her partner? Zarinna shrugged the idea off her mind.

"Ah," She heard Gina sigh, "How are we ever going to find those flags if we move this slow?" Gina mused. Zarinna remembered the Principals instruction. She had thought that this activity would be a pure hike, and as though that wasn't hard enough, the headteachers had this brilliant idea of making it more 'fun' by adding challenges with it. Now they had to find some small flags hidden in the woods somewhere before they can get down the mountain. How were they even able to put those things in there? She wondered. They must have a lot of time in their hands.

How fun, indeed. Zarinna grimaced.

"Sorry for being a burden," She apologized.

"Oh don't worry, I understand, Rinna," Gina smiled, "Come on; let's continue to walk now. We must find at least two of those flags. I'm not about to wash giant pots, utensils, and such as a punishment for not finding a darn flag."

Zarinna couldn't suppress the laughter from her core. She didn't want that too. With that motivation, they both rose and trekked on. After a few minutes of walking, the two found themselves in the midst of all types of plants. From high trees to small bushes and even to the smallest grasses, all were there. Taking a turn to the left, Zarinna spotted a white fabric caught upon a tall shrub.

"Gina!" She exclaimed, "Look!" Gina inclined her vision to where Zarinna's finger pointed to.

"It's a flag!" Gina beamed, speeding up her pace as she approached the shrub and took the white fabric in her hands.

"Yes!" The two squealed in delight. With hope increasing that they wouldn't be the dishwashers for the whole faculty dinner tonight, the two walked on, chattering away as they advanced to another area.