Chapter- 19 Revealing Pasts

Unedited

Unedited

Paras's Pov

I hated how that woman disrespected Nishtha and her work. I shouldn't have allowed her to step in our house in the first place.

This so called badi bua ji was so orthodox that she was against men entering the kitchen. Therefore, Nishtha insisted on making the dinner herself. After a while, the whole house was filled with the aroma of the food she had made.

She properly set the dining table and then called badi bua ji for dinner. 

"Nishtha, you also sit with us." I said as I saw that she wasn't serving her own plate.

"Paras, women of the house don't eat along with their husbands. They first feed the men and elders, then only eat anything." I was about to protest when Nishtha stopped me. I guess she didn't want any drama at the dining table.

"Just 5 items? Is this how you serve a guest when they come to your house for the first time?!" That woman roared. What the fuck ? According to me, 5 dishes are more than enough. She had prepared dal, rice, roti, potato sabji and kheer. And this oldie wanted more.

Before I could say something, Nishtha said something which shut that woman up.

"Badi bua ji, I have poured all my love in these 5 dishes. I am not as talented as you to cook many dishes with complete perfection, therefore I decided to cook less but tasty dishes. Besides, you're not a guest, you're family. Right?" She said really diplomatically. If 'sweet slap' was a term then this was a live demo of it. 

That woman wanted to criticize the food made by her, it was visible by her expressions. But she couldn't as she knew it wasn't SAFE for her to say more bitter things.

After she was done, she left her plate on the table itself, washed her hands and went to sleep. What an ill mannered lady. Nishtha started to clean the table when I stopped her.

"Let me do it, you rest now. I'll bring a plate for you." I said and she gave a genuine smile. I served her and sat by her all along while she was eating just in case she needed something.

After she was done, we cleaned up the table and went to sleep.

Sleep was far away from me and I was staring at the ceiling. I turned to see Nishtha who wasn't asleep either. She saw me and chuckled.

"May I ask you something?" She asked.

"Sure." I said looking right into her eyes.

"It's alright if you don't wanna answer..." She said awkwardly.

"Just ask Nishtha." I said. I somehow felt she wanted to ask about Anahita.

"Well, what's up with you and that Anahita Seth?" She finally asked. Yeah, I was right.

"Well she's my ex..." I began.

"Yeah I know, just tell the story." She said with curiosity dripping from her voice.