「 TEN 」

CHAPTER TEN

"Hara, Wakatoshi is outside!"

It was a school day, and Hara decided to go home for that week- she needed time away from other students, and she figured that going back home for a while could help her a bit. Although her house wasn't as close to Shiratorizawa as the dormitories were, it was still not too far for her not to be able to arrive early at school.

Placing a toast between her lips, Hara furrowed her brows. Why the hell would Ushijima show up in front of her doorstep? Weren't they- Oh.

"Hara, if it's possible, can we start over?" Ushijima asked, and all she could do at the moment was stare into his eyes. They were filled with endless pools of emotions, too much so that she could sense them even though he looked stoic on the outside.

Was he telling the truth, or did he only say those words to try and console her after the incident at school?

"If you're just pitying me-"

"Do I look like someone who wouldn't stick to his words?" Ushijima asked, a serious expression plastered across his face. "I apologize, I will be better."

"You could start by wording out your words better so that they won't sound harsh. I thought you were trying to-"

"Is it a yes or a no?"

Hara closed her eyes shut as she tried to calm herself. She was already sure on what her mother would tell her once she arrives back home after school. Of course. With how fond Ueno was of Ushijima, she'd find ways to link them together.

"Your ankle's all well now, right?" Ushijima asked, and Hara almost jumped seeing him sitting down on their couch.

"How do you know that?" She asked, furrowing her brows at him.

He blinked, and then started counting on his fingers so she furrowed her brows. Is he being serious right now? He looked like he was. Is volleyball really the only thing running through his head? Well, she was one to talk. She was the same way.

"I had it on my calendar," Ushijima muttered, and then stood up so both of them could finally walk to school.

"Wakatoshi, if she tries to overwork herself again, make sure you spike her head, okay- I WAS KIDDING!" Ueno said, laughing to herself as her daughter glared at her.

"Yes, I will,"

"Why did you show up at my door?" Hara asked, breaking the silence between them as they walked to school. It was very uncharacteristic of them, after the tension between them all these years.

Some students from Shiratorizawa also walked the same path they were taking, but the two aces just ignored the gazes they were receiving. It was indeed strange to see them civil with each other. But with the stares they were receiving, they simply ignored them. Something was more important than the eyes of many. After all, they were quite used to it. But this time, it was different.

Everyone was so used to seeing them having an argument or at least not being on good terms, so it came as a surprise when they saw the two walking to school together. Were they the same people?

"Just to make sure you were not lying when you mentioned yesterday that we were fine," he muttered, now seeing the gates in front of them.

Hara turned to look at him, a small smile finally gracing her lips. It was a very rare sight, which made Ushijima slightly widen his eyes before turning away. He would be lying if he said that a smile didn't look pretty on the dark haired girl.

"Hara! You're all fine- Ushijima?!" a voice called, so the two aces turned their heads towards whoever it was.

There the speaker was, her jaw dropped on the floor. Sai was too surprised to see that Watanabe Hara, her so-called stone-hearted captain who happened to hate Ushijima Wakatoshi, was walking with the mentioned guy. Was it a dream, or were they really forced to do so? Something must have happened, right? Did someone pay them to be with each other?

Mhm, Coach Washijo probably told them to fix their shit, Sai thought to herself, trying to think when and how the two decided to walk to school together.

"Oh, Sai. Good morning." Hara greeted, blinking at the very surprised Yamamoto Sai. Sai looked like she had her life drained out of her face, a sight so amusing that the corners of Hara's lips lifted a bit.

If walking with Ushijima Wakatoshi was a surprise, Sai was even more surprised at the sudden change of attitude. Hara was never one to greet her first, this would be the first time. How strange that someone could change so much in a short amount of time. Did a life changing event happen, after all?

"Good morning, Yamamoto." Ushijima greeted Sai, making the vice captain blink rapidly before rubbing her eyes.

"Are you... are you-?!"

"Oh, look at that. So I was right, Wakatoshi?" another voice teasingly asked, making the trio turn their attention to the speaker.

Tendou Satori grinned mischievously, eyeing the two captains. During the little chat with Hara, he'd be lying if he said he didn't at least notice the existence of his captain eavesdropping on them. It was only a wild guess, when he said that Ushijima might have had a little crush on Hara as a kid. It turned out correct, after all.

"So, are you dating yet?" Tendou asked, which made Sai grip on his hair and then pull him away from the captains. "Ouch! Damned woman, let go!"

Ushijima turned to Hara, and then shook his head.

"Don't mind Tendou, it was disrespectful to ask you such a question. I'm off to the gym. Don't overwork yourself this time, Hara. Or you'll injure yourself again." Ushijima said, giving the girl a gentle smile after. She blinked rapidly, not knowing how to react to such an attack.

As he jogged away from the girl, Hara kept her feet on the ground.

"Oi, Wakatoshi! Stop it!"

Since when was Ushijima Wakatoshi someone like that?!

She couldn't believe it! It seemed as if he was actually trying to look after her. Like the old times... except that he was clear with his intentions this time around.

Hara placed a hand on her chest, scolding her heart internally for beating at such a quicker rate than it should be. Her cheeks were starting to heat up as well, which made her shut her eyes close.

"Damn it, Wakatoshi. You never did change, you still make me feel such things," the girl muttered to herself, before jogging towards the gym.

"Did you see that? They actually walked to school together,"

"Did Watahara just smile earlier?!"

"Did he call her Hara?!"

"Damn, she just called him Wakatoshi?"

The female captain sighed, reaching the doors of the gym. She gripped on the hem of her skirt as she glared at the doors.

It's not a crush. It's not a crush, it's just the feeling of having a friend. It's not a crush. Just not used to being on good terms with him again. Not a crush, definitely not.