「 TWENTY THREE 」

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Hara was about to step our of their home to go to school when she heard the doorbell ring, making her flinch. Who could be there at such an early time? Before she could answer the door, her mother already beat her to it.

There was a pause before Hara widened her eyes after recalling something the day before. Oh, God.

"What's that cute little flower ring on your hand?" asked Ueno, smiling at her daughter.

Hara stopped in her tracks, about to go to her room but she was stopped by the sudden question from her mother. Her cheeks instantly heated up turning around slowly before smiling at her mother.

"Oh, you know. A ring. Wakatoshi made it," she replied, trying to make it seem like she wasn't nervous.

"He seems like a tough guy, but he's such a sweetie. Why'd he give you a flower ring?" Ueno asked, grinning.

"He... Fine. He said he wanted to grow old with me, he said he wanted to marry me after we graduate in college," Hara said, a pout forming on her lips as she looked away.

She didn't know how her mother would react. Of course, Ueno always have wanted the two of them to end up together but having the decision of marrying each other by the last year of their high school... she wasn't so sure about her mother's thoughts about it.

Did her mother think that they were rushing into things? Was she against it?

"He did?! That's great, then! Saves me from questioning some other guy who wants to take your hand from me. You've never been interested in other guys. I'm happy. I'm just wishing it will work out for the both of you," Ueno said, smiling softly at Hara and then placing her hand on the girl's cheek.

"I-I know. He made me-"

"Oh, dear, I know. Invite him over for dinner tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay..."

"Hara, Wakatoshi is here to pick you up! Hurry up, don't make my son-in-law wait!" Ueno exclaimed, earning a blush on Hara's cheeks.

"Mum!"

"They're actually walking to school together. I still can't believe that they're dating."

"Is he holding her hand? He is! Oh, my God."

"I wish I could be her,"

"Dang, if only I was Ushiwaka."

Although he wasn't fond of the whispers about their relationship every time they passed by, Ushijima didn't dare to let go of her hand. He wasn't really a fan of PDA, but he wanted to show every guy out there that whoever plans on wooing the girl had no chance. She was his, and he was hers.

"You don't have to," Hara said, making Ushijima shake his head.

"It helps making them back off," he replied, earning a chuckle from the girl. Sometimes, she couldn't believe that Ushijima was that type of person.

Now that the third year guys weren't practicing anymore, they kept themselves busy with studies. However, Hara and her team were busy preparing for the Nationals. They had morning practice, and Ushijima wanted to watch his girl.

"I'm not going anywhere," she said, smiling slightly at him.

"I know."

As both third years entered the gym where the other girls were already stretching, they all stopped to look at their captain.

It was one thing that she was a few minutes late to practice, but what surprised them even more were both captains' hands being laced with each other.

Sai instantly went to their captain, a smirk plastering itself across her lips. The other members of her team giggled to themselves, not escaping the narrowing eyes of their captain.

"What now? You know, I have to be the maid of honor if you guys ever get married. After all, it was Tendou and I who pushed you two to get together," Sai joked, only teasing the two but she was more surprised at the male's response.

"Thank you. I guess, you will be. Tendou will be the best man."

"WAIT, YOU'RE ACTUALLY ALREADY PLANNING ON GETTING MARRIED? YOU SLY EAGLES, ARE YOU ACTUALLY-"

"OYA? I HEARD MY NAME. I WAS SUMMONED."

"OI, SATORI! STOP STEALING MY SPOTLIGHT! I WASN'T FINISHED SPEAKING!"

"HO? DID I HEAR IT RIGHT? YOU CALLED ME SATORI?"

"SHUT THE HELL UP FOR ONE SECOND. USHIJIMA, WATANABE. ARE YOU-"

"Why? Is there something wrong with it?"

Both Tendou and Sai stopped arguing when they heard Ushijima speak. Even Hara was too shy to even look up. All eyes were on them and as much as she was used to many eyes watching her, it was different when it involved Ushijima.

Why are you so blunt, Wakatoshi? Goddamn it.

"AT LAST!"

Once back home, Hara and Ushijima sat down next to each other on the dinner table. Surprisingly, her father went back home just for the dinner. To say that Ushijima Wakatoshi was nervous was an understatement. He knew how strict Mr. Watanabe could be.

"It's been long, Wakatoshi," said Mr. Watanabe, smiling at the younger male.

Hara could already feel the tension, knowing that her mother told him the news. She held Ushijima's hand underneath the table, reassuring him that it will be fine.

"It's been long, sir," Ushijima replied, bowing.

"No need to be that formal. Just call me Akihiro. Are you taking care of my daughter well? She's a stubborn one. Didn't want me to keep her in Tokyo for long and wanted to study in Shiratorizawa," Mr. Watanabe said, smiling.

"I am, sir. She sure is stubborn-" Ushijima wasn't able to finish his sentence when Hara cut him off.

"Wakatoshi! I'm not," the girl said, furrowing her brows and trying to let go of his hand but he sent her a smirk secretly while tightening his grip on her hand.

"Even your boyfriend thinks so, Hara." her father said, chuckling to himself. "You're Utsui's son, right? During your toddler years, we used to joke around about getting you two to marry each other so that we'll become family. Good old days. He's in Irvine, isn't he?"

Both teenagers' faces burned up, being told the information. This brought a smirk on Watanabe Akihiro and Ueno's faces.

"Take care of her, alright?" Mr. Watanabe added, and Ushijima nodded.

"I will, sir. Always."

"This is nice! I guess I'm calling Utsui, tell him about some good news. Come on, let's eat. The food is getting cold."

The night was sparkling, all smiles and joy. It felt so good for the two, knowing that their relationship was accepted wholeheartedly by their family. As Hara was laughing about her dad's stories, Ushijima couldn't stop staring at her with a smile across his lips. He loved this side of her; the real her. When she didn't need to toughen herself up. He was happy he get to see her like that, especially for the rest of their lives.

"You really love her, don't you, Wakatoshi? Akihiro used to look at me like that," Ueno whispered, making the male nod with a smile.

"I do. Always have, always will. It just took me long enough to realize it."