XII

Since the meet, I've been on top of the world.

The track team has a bit of time before the MSPF Championships up in Seattle on the 28th and 29th, which also happens to be the exact same time that Washington State and U-Dubs come to Eugene.

Scheduling isn't exactly on our side.

Sab is speaking at Kobe and GiGi's funeral the same day she has to play Stanford. She literally has to wake up at the buttcrack of dawn, get on a plane to LA and then speak at the funeral then get on a plane back up to Palo Alto. She is going to miss shootaround, which is a first for her.

I'm actually debating if I want to fly down to watch the game.

Fuck it. I'm going to do it.

---

"Thank you for flying with us! Enjoy your stay in Palo Alto!" The cheery flight attendant says over the loudspeaker. She's way to energized for a 10 pm flight.

Yeah, I hopped on a couple of flights and ended up in Palo Alto the night before the game. I know my coaches won't be happy if they find out because we're leaving for Seattle in a couple of days but what they don't know can't hurt them.

I walk through the empty airport and just take a moment to enjoy the peace and quiet. I've always enjoyed late-night flights and walking through the airport.

I find my way outside the airport and hail a taxi. I tell the guy the hotel I'm staying at and he starts the drive. I just watch all the lights go by.

Before I know it, the driver pulls up by the hotel. I quickly pay him and get out grabbing my one bag.

I check-in and go to my room. I throw my bag on the bed and take out my pj's which consist of a sweatshirt and a pair of shorts I stole from Sabrina.

I rush through my night routine and hop into bed. I grab my phone and already see a good night text from Sabrina.

Sabrina🥰😍: Good night💕 I love you so much.

Mollie: Sorry I didn't answer your facetime, I was on a flight. (Also, I love you to:)

Sabrina🥰😍: Flight to where?

Mollie: I'm in Palo Alto right now...

Sabrina🥰😍: Prove it because I feel like you're joking.

I send her a snap with a location sticker. 

Mollie: Believe me now?

---

"Growing up, I only knew one way to play the game of basketball: fierce, with obsessive focus. I was unapologetically competitive. I wanted to be the best. I loved the work, even when it was hard, especially if it was hard.

"I knew I was different, that my drive was different. I grew up watching Kobe Bryant game after game, ring after ring, living his greatness without apology. I wanted to be just like him, to love every part of the competition, to be the first to show up and the last to leave, to love the grind, to be your best when you don't feel your best and make other people around you the best version of themselves. And to wake up and do it again the next day.

"So that's what I did: Wake up, grind and get better. Wake up, grind and get better.

"A year ago, my team, Oregon, was playing at USC. Morning of the game, our coaches told us that there was a surprise for the day. I was thinking Nike sent us some new shoes or swag or something. The game starts and, shortly after, Kobe walks in with his daughter Gianna and two of her teammates. They sat courtside, where my jaw sat dropped. They watched the entire game. And that was the first time I met Kobe.