Chapter 5: Life Sucks, Huh?

"Nova, what's with that smitten look on your face?" 

I rolled my eyes at Alison as I sat down in my seat next to her desk. I ignored her question, hoping she would drop it. She didn't know I had a crush on Niall ever since the incident. I knew she was going to judge me for liking someone older or she would find herself liking him as well. 

"Hello? Earth to Nova. What's with your red cheeks? You look like you're smitten by someone. Who is it?!"

She attacked me with more questions as I hoped for class to finally begin. 

I was smiling a lot because I think Niall noticed me for the first time in awhile. I was walking to school and he was walking the other way to the high school across the street. I didn't notice him until I bumped into his shoulder. It caused me to drop my binder and notebooks all over the dirty sidewalk. I groaned as I picked them up urgently. He bent down and helped me pick up the now dirty books. 

"Sorry about that, love! I wasn't watching where I was going. You alright?" He asked, handing me my black math notebook. 

I nodded, shoving some of the books into my shoulder bag. I looked up and my dark brown eyes met with his bright blue ones. I felt like I shrunk under his gaze. His lips twisted into a grin as I continued to stare at his flawless face. He raised his eyebrows and smirked at me. I tore my eyes away from him and mumbled a quick 'thank you' to him.

He curiously looked at me and bent down to hear me better. His face was dangerously close to mine, that our noses were almost touching. I felt my cheeks getting flustered and my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest and onto the sidewalk. 

"I s-said thanks..." I shyly said, staring down at my boots. 

He nodded and chuckled. 

"Oh, alright! You're welcome! See ya later, right?" He said as he turned his back to me to continue on his walk to school.

I watched him leave and he turned back around quickly to hear my response.

"Uh, sure. O-okay.." I shouted back at him.

He lifted a thumbs up for me to see as I happily skipped to school. Happy for once on a Monday morning. 

------------------------------------

Nova's POV

I stood at my counter, trying to focus on the paper work in front of my desk. I tapped my pencil on the desk, trying to eliminate the sounds of Miranda's annoying and fake laugh. Her giggling continued and I heard Niall laugh along with her. I gripped onto my pencil tightly, telling myself to not look up. If I looked at what was in front of me, I knew it would break my heart even more. Why hurt something more when it was already broken? 

I heard them kiss over and over again, making me want to strangle Miranda more and more each second. Right when I was about to look up, one of Miranda's followers went up to me. I believe her name was Tara. Or was it Cara? Oh well, doesn't matter. They were both annoying either way.

"Hey Nova. Don't Miranda and Niall look adorable over there?" She smugly asked me. 

I scoffed and glared at her. I leaned over my counter and towered over her. My lips were pressed into a straight and tight line. 

"Adorable wouldn't be the word I would call it. More like repulsive or utterly disgusting. What sounds better to you?" I asked her.

She rolled her eyes and just went back to her seat next to her equally annoying sister. I sighed, glancing up to see the boy I loved all these years holding the girl that wasn't right for him and he didn't even know it. Miranda was on his lap, stroking her neatly manicured nails around his hair. Niall looked at her with bright eyes and he just smiled at her lovingly. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I got startled that I jumped a bit.