14 - Cravings in Life

If there's one person in the world who enjoys being woken up in the middle of the night, it's Dr. Hyun Bin.

Of course like any other normal human being, he would be irate at being disturbed deep in his slumber, but this isn't a normal circumstance. This is what he has been looking forward to ever since he and Yejin first talked about baby names 14 years ago: the 9 grueling yet delightful  months before the birth of his child. He wasn't present when she's carrying Ae-Rin in her womb much to his regret- so now he will do literally everything if it would add the littlest comfort for his Yejin.

"Love...." a half-awake Yejin said.

Not more than 3 seconds later and Bin is already sitting up on their shared bed, ready to attend to whatever his beloved needs.

"Are you okay, Love?"

"I want...." Yejin said, looking at the floor of their new room, trying to pinpoint what exactly she wants, "....nevermind.."

"Tell me, Love. It's okay. I'll get it for you."

When Yejin told him that she's pregnant, Bin was ecstatic- to the point where he literally, by himself, moved their belongings from both of their apartments to their new house. He didn't even wait for the moving truck.  Yejin just woke up one morning with their boxes gone, and a smiling Dr. Hyun resting in her living room. Seemed like he moved their boxes overnight.

Bin and Ae-Rin went to the grocery store that morning, and they moved to their new house that night.  Bin bought everything they needed in that supermarket- including all kinds of fruits, all kinds of sweets, and everything weird that a pregnant woman could crave. He wanted to be an efficient father-to-be.

When he said he got a high grade in Obstetrics and Gynecology, he wasn't kidding.

"I want some strawberries and bananas in whipped cream..."

Bin smirked. Is that all? Of course he bought loads of that during their trip to the supermarket. He went down feeling a sense of pride that he thought of that even before she craved it.

He opened their fridge, but there were no signs of bananas and strawberries in there. He felt two arms enveloped him from behind, "..I already ate all bananas and strawberries earlier, I'm sorry.."

"Everything?" he felt her nod behind him, and he could only imagine seeing a shy expression on her face, "Yes..."

Bin faced her and cupped her cheek, "It's no problem, Love. I would buy you a strawberry and banana plantation if you would want to."

Yejin just laughed, realizing how lucky she is that he's the father of her child, "Silly. I only want a few kilos of it."

....and that's how Bin found himself rummaging through the fruit section of a 24-hour grocery in Seoul at 2:47 AM, looking for the best strawberries and bananas for his lovely woman.

But when he got home, she saw her in a fetal position, sleeping soundly on the sofa. He felt a little guilt that she had waited for him as he stared at her peaceful face. She was so tired that she didn't even budge in her sleep when he carried her upstairs.

He lied on the right side of their bed and looked at her. If there's anything, pregnancy has given her a different glow. She was already beautiful, but has become exquisite now that she's harboring a miracle in her womb. Their miracle.

He couldn't be any luckier.

-

Bin has never had this intense meaningful purpose to wake up every morning. For the past 7 years, he continued his life on a whim, living every day as it comes just for the sake of it.