11 - Green Eyed

When Dr. Son entered that scrub room, Dr. Hyun's knees wobbled.

It took him almost a minute before he could follow the two doctors inside. His body started sweating even if the air conditioner in the hospital is in full blast.

Dr. Hyun entered the scrub room. He saw Dr. Son and Dr. Song scrubbing their hands intently, the sound of the running water saving the room from deafening silence.

'When did five minutes become this excruciatingly long?!' Dr. Hyun thought. It's as if the world added more seconds to a minute while he was asleep.

Finally, the two doctors went inside the OR. Dr. Song smiled at him, while Dr. Son just passed by him, not even giving him a glance.

'Is she mad?' he thought.

Dr. Hyun entered the OR after he finished scrubbing, and the two already have their masks and gloves on. He was looking at Dr. Son, waiting for her to meet his eyes. However, she was too busy looking at the draped patient on the surgical table.

A CABG can be usually done by one cardio attending and two to three resident doctors who will assist. For this case, he has no idea how this will turn out when three alpha doctors operate in the OR.

"I missed operating with you, Bin." a voice said, and it clearly wasn't Dr. Son's. The whole OR fell silent. Dr. Hyun looked at Dr. Son again but he realized that she was avoiding his stare. The crease in her brows were evident, and he felt his throat went dry. He just stared at her for a few moments until his eyes met hers.

"Scalpel," Dr. Son said with a stern tone. "I'm opening up this patient."

To be honest, at this moment he wasn't scared for Dr. Song, he was more scared for himself because he knows how she is when she gets jealous.

They spent 4 hours in that OR. The stress it brought to Dr. Hyun was insurmountable, but not because of the surgery—which actually went by very smoothly. What stressed every neuron in his brain was the two doctors on his opposite side of the table.

Despite the evident tension in the room, the patient was in very good hands because the surgeons are all highly-skilled.  The patient was wheeled to post-op and when Dr. Hyun looked at the clock, it's already two hours past midnight.

"It was nice seeing you, Bin." Dr. Song said as she leaned in for a half hug. She then turned to Dr. Son and offered her hand, "It was nice meeting you, Dr. Son."

Dr. Son shook her hand and Dr. Song walked away afterwards, leaving the hospital.

The couple walked back to their car without a word. Dr. Hyun is now driving back to their apartment when he couldn't take the silence anymore.

"Love, are you mad?" Bin said softly. In his peripheral vision she saw her shook her head.

"Love....." he pleaded, "Talk to me, please?"

Dr. Son just sat on the passenger seat, expressionless.

"She spent her fellowship in the hospital, and we were Chief Han's mentees. We were good friends," he explained, "and we only went out for two dates. I promise, I don't even like her in that way.."

When Yejin still won't look at him, he resorted to different means.

"Love? Love. Love!" Bin said repeatedly with different tones and intonations, all the while shaking her arm lightly. "Love! Love? Loooove?"

"I'm a doctor for kids and I have a 6 year old child." Yejin said simply, "You can't annoy me into talking, BIN." Yejin said with emphasis on his name. He knows that this is a dangerous situation for him, but he can't help himself but smile. He glanced at her, and she remained expressionless, but her body language tells Bin that she's fuming in her seat.