CHAPTER NINE

Dahlia truly wanted to question her sanity, when she forced herself to think everything happened for a reason

Regardless of the encounter of seeing the first person she fancied being confessed to and starting a relationship—she was going to suck it up and pretend it was okay.

It was not okay—it definitely was not even remotely stable for someone to put up the act she was doing.

However, maybe, just maybe this was something she was an expert at considering her many years of being someone who she forced herself to be.

Lily had offered to find someone else to help Hugo in his studies, but Dahlia rejected it saying she was going to help him until he no longer needed her.

Foolish—Dahlia was foolish to leave herself in endless days of the wound in her heart to remain unhealed.

She told herself that it was a way to openly see that Hugo was not the only one that she needed to desire for affections—which was probably the worse way of going at things.

Though, Dahlia was an amateur when it came to anything that resulted in love, so her idea of 'healing' was to make the pain grow until she had enough.

It was a risk in both her mind and her sanity, but Dahlia did not care—she wanted to feel this pain as quick as she could because she was set that it would help her.

"Hey," Hugo called out to Dahlia who was in a daze.

Which had been happening for a week now—much to his observation, but he never dared to ask what was her troubles.

He was not sure if he even had the right to, so he chose that as a reason not to.

"Sorry," Dahlia forced a laugh and peered up at him," What was it that you said?"

Hugo sighed leaning on his palm," Well, I was talking about how I feel like Harlow might be the one"

"Please, don't say anything more"

Dahlia's lips turned up in a grin," Oh? Well that's not so hard to see"

"Just stop, don't keep talking"

Hugo chuckled as he turned flustered," Does it show on my face how on she's making things enjoyable?"

"Merlin, why?"

"How can anyone not see it! You two are so adorable!"

"You are such a fool, Dahlia—what on earth are you trying to accomplish"

"Hey, I hope you realize that being called adorable isn't exactly something guys look forward to" Hugo grumbled as he turned his head downwards.

Dahlia hummed and rested her chin on her palms," Oh suck up that pride, a compliment shouldn't be questioned. You are the epitome of purity, with how much you set your heart out there to think that soulmates exist. I think that with the ability to believe in it so strongly as you do, it's a true sign of strength. I really do believe that your way of seeing things is amazing"

Hugo blinked at her words—completely taken back at her sudden acknowledgement.

He knew her words weren't forced and that shocked him even more.

He remembered telling Dahlia about how he believed in Soulmates the year prior when they were having small talk after a tutoring session—and he remembered how Dahlia withheld it.

However, with her sudden change of opinion had him undone.

He knew she wasn't just trying to force herself to understand in his own beliefs because she wouldn't do that, but the idea of the change started to confuse him.

What was the change in her heart?

He did not understand and unfortunately with Dahlia's perfect acting skills of hiding her affection for him, he was left clueless.