Fifth Entry

April 23, 1943

Dear Nicolai,

Mama and Papa aren’t speaking to each other. Mama is angry at Papa for bringing those strange men into our house. One of them tried to touch Druka as she was cooking. Papa kicked him out and now one other man still lives with us.

He scares me every time I look at him. His name is Vera Holvik. He’s was a fellow coworker and a good friend of Papa. Do you know of him? I never have met that man before.

Vera sleeps in the hidden room in the attic. I was angry when he slept there. That was my spot to write my letters to you. Now I have to write inside the broom closet, so no one could read over my shoulder. What also angered me was how Vera would smile at me. It was like he knew something I didn’t know. It scared me a lot just to sleep in my room. Sometimes I could hear Vera moving about up in the attic. Sometimes I hear Vera mumble to himself in a different language.

Nicolai I do hope you’re doing well. I bet by now you have a nice job and have lots of friends. You were always easy to befriend. Perhaps it was your charming smile or your outgoing attitude. Unlike you, I don’t have that magnetic pull. I can’t make friends easily and with this war going on, I don’t know if I’ll make any friends at all.

Please write back soon

-Your Brother-
Mika

I sat there and stared at the letter thoroughly. At this point I felt like it was just a waste of time writing these letters. I knew he would probably never read them but still I write them. I write these letters in hopes they would be answered. I write these letters in hopes this war would stop. I write these letters because I’m scared.