Entry Thirteen

February 19, 1944

This was the coldest February I’ve ever endured. Not only was it cold, it was also snowing a lot. Sometimes it would snow for days and we still had to work. Since the New Year began, at least two hundred Jews had died from December to now. Most of them died from the cold while others died of starvation.

A lot of the elders are dying, most due to old age. I knew my papa was feeling the effects of the cold but he doesn’t show his pain. In fact he doesn’t show much emotion anymore.

When I awoke this morning, papa and the two other men in our cabin were gone. It was strange seeing as they were gone before anyone was awake. Lukas told me he and the two other men snuck out in the middle of the night. If that was the case, then my papa truly had left me to rot.

“Psst, Mika, how is my brother doing?” I heard Ivanka whisper.

We both were outside shoveling in the horrid cold. She took a spot next to me while her brother was at the far end of the field. “He’s doing well so far. He’s talking more and more.” I whispered back. Even though it was snowing, there were still German soldiers walking around, mostly cursing at the weather.

“That’s good. Your sister is doing fine but I can’t say the same for your mother.” She whispered as she dug up a large pile of dirt and snow.

“What’s wrong with my mother?” I asked as I glanced around to make sure no one was watching us talk.

“She’s very sick Mika. She’s been coughing a lot and the other night she had a high fever. The German officer’s are starting to take notice in her strange behavior.” She said quietly.

I felt a small tug of pain at my heart. I feared my mother would most likely die in this hell and I haven’t even seen her yet. “I understand. Just try to take care of her as best as you can.” I said softly.

“I’m sorry Mika; I wish I could but…” Ivanka stopped in midsentence as she looked up suddenly. I followed her gaze and saw Valtren and a group of soldiers passing by us. They were kicking and screaming at five men, one of them was my papa.

“You stupid Jew! If you can move fast enough to get over the fence you can move fast enough for death!” Valtren yelled as he hit my papa on the back of his head with the back end of his gun.

My papa fell forward like a lump, his eyes were red, and his cheeks were stained with blood. He and the other men were dragging themselves across the field. They all looked like they’ve been beaten up before coming here. I noticed the two other men from my cabin were with that group. They too looked just as bad as my papa.

“Mika, isn’t that your father?” Ivanka whispered.

I didn’t answer that question because I knew the answer already. I also knew my papa was going to die. I watched as my papa got back up and slightly glanced over to my general direction before walking again. I wanted to throw down my shovel and run for him, but fear had frozen me solid. I could only watch as Valtren and the other soldiers harassed and yelled at the five poor men who only wanted freedom. They all continued to walk, eventually stopping in front if a large concrete wall. The soldiers lined the men up, with their backs facing the soldiers.

“I want all of you to watch what happens to those who try to escape.” Valten barked out as he loaded his pistol.

“I can’t watch this.” I heard Ivanka say.

As much as I didn’t want to, my eyes were glue to that scene. My heart hammered like an animal against my chest. So many thoughts were flying through my mind but only one word came out from my mouth.

“Papa…”

Bang, Bang, Bang

The gun shots were loud and frightening. In an instant all five men fell to the ground, motionless and most likely dead. My eyes were glued to my papa’s body. Something was different; his chest was slightly rising and falling. He arms twitched as if he was trying to move. My papa was alive, just barely but he was alive.

“Ah so this rat lives.” Valtren said as he walked next to my papa’s body. “Well I can fix that.” He added as he cocked his gun, pointed it to my papa’s head and pulled the trigger.

Time suddenly felt so unreal at that moment. The ringing of the gun echoed throughout the field. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was heard a few miles away.

All five men were dead, my papa included. Valtren simply stood there laughing, enjoying his victory while the other soldiers smiled but remained quiet. My body was rendered useless, my thoughts were scattered and my eyes became blurry.

I didn’t want to cry because it showed weakness, but that moment I silently cried because I knew that was just the beginning of the end.